Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reel Brand

Default Reel Brand

I'm in the process of looking for a new 5wt reel and came across a local brand and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. REEL Fly Fishing is the brands name. The reels look pretty good but without actually being able to tangibly feel one I am looking for advise.

Anybody have one? Used one? Can recommend one?

I like the idea of supporting local brands but have had one brand that has dissapointed me with their reels before and don't want this to happen again. That being said Shilton is a bit out of my budget right now

On a #5, the only worry you will have is the corrosion, if you do fish with it in the salt.
    Normally, most #5, you do not target big fish to worry about drag.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I would say save up and go for a shilton. They have serviced a couple of mine for free - it can probably outlast you.

But....

I have bought the gold fly line from reel fly fishing, and it is incredible good for what you pay. Love it.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    On a #5, the only worry you will have is the corrosion, if you do fish with it in the salt.
    Normally, most #5, you do not target big fish to worry about drag.
    Yeah I never used to worry too much about drag but have hooked into some big yellows over winter and my current reel came apart on a good one. Also i have had my line eaten up due to it running between the spool and frame on a cheap reel. I don't want to bash the brand online but will not support them again.

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I would say save up and go for a shilton. They have serviced a couple of mine for free - it can probably outlast you.

But....

I have bought the gold fly line from reel fly fishing, and it is incredible good for what you pay. Love it.
    I would love to get a shilton and saw a second hand one for sale but the asking price for the reel and two extra spools was more than it would cost brand new for the same model and 2 spools

Also I heard some shilton reels dont fit a full line let alone backing.

Quote Originally Posted by meandmetoo View Post
    I would love to get a shilton and saw a second hand one for sale but the asking price for the reel and two extra spools was more than it would cost brand new for the same model and 2 spools

Also I heard some shilton reels dont fit a full line let alone backing.
    Cut the fly line in half.

Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Cut the fly line in half.

I'm Reels brand ambassador your more than welcome to chat to me in pvt or so I have sent you a message any one is more than welcome to come see and try the gear for them self's Shaun should be online as well soon.

Let me know how I can be of service

Kind regards

Chris
    Last edited by Mioski; 22-08-17 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mioski View Post
    I'm Reels brand ambassador your more than welcome to chat to me in pvt or so I have sent you a message any one is more than welcome to come see and try the gear for them self's Shaun should be online as well soon.

Let me know how I can be of service

Kind regards

Chris
    Site url? If there is one?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast