Thread: Then and Now

Default Then and Now

25 years ago, when I started fly fishing, there was no fly fishing magazines.
    The odd article in Stywe Lyne. Then the Complete Fly Fisher was inserted into the Stywe Lyne as a free magazine.
    The Fly fishing Magazine was there as well.
    But most of the info was gathered at the old CPS pub. Once a week we gathered, drank lots of beer, and some whisky and some rum etc etc and talked lots and lots of fishing.
    I know of a couple of cars that were written off due to these evenings, and many a wife that paraded around like a pouter pigeon, chest out, shoulders pulled back and kept 2 golf balls in her cheeks when husband arrived late. With a very slow voice, and very thin lips, she would say "Do......you......know......what.......time....... ..it .........is? How......much.......did.......you......have......t o.....drink? Did.....you.......drive......in.....that......stat e?"
    Later you had to buy the CFF magazine, the drinking at the CPS got less and less as they got stricter on the drinking and driving

Then the internet started, website, forums etc, information started to flow in the electronic form.
    South Africa started to compete at the Worlds and more advanced techniques followed.
    A couple of the well know names came to South Africa and shared their secrets or I visited them there.

What was your journey of learning? Where did you get your information?
    Last edited by Korrie; 14-09-17 at 08:42 AM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension