Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Upper Orange

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circus2 View Post
    Except I live in CT now. So if I leave the office in Durbanville at 16h00 on a Thursday, I'll get there at 2am.
    And I'll have to ask Mario for a net at least a year in advance...

    Easier to drive to spot x on the lower Orange. I'll just feel like less of an explorer.
    I will invite you on the next Lower Orange trip.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Mario
    You are in that area, any news or info that you have?
    Orange just go to that level that is was starting to clear to about 1m - 1.5m viz. Catch 22 though, that means very low and dry conditions. Thankfully we did get some rain, which of course is crucial to the predominantly farming driven area, but muddied up the river again.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Orange just go to that level that is was starting to clear to about 1m - 1.5m viz. Catch 22 though, that means very low and dry conditions. Thankfully we did get some rain, which of course is crucial to the predominantly farming driven area, but muddied up the river again.
    Thanks Mario
    With a 1meter to 1,5m viz for us, that is super for fishing, escpecially LM.
    I am sure the fish loves 1m viz.
    After the first rains with a bit of run-off, it will change as you mentioned, but if you can have 2 or 3 months of fishing in that clear water, AMAZING
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Thanks Mario
    With a 1meter to 1,5m viz for us, that is super for fishing, escpecially LM.
    I am sure the fish loves 1m viz.
    After the first rains with a bit of run-off, it will change as you mentioned, but if you can have 2 or 3 months of fishing in that clear water, AMAZING
    The water below a couple of large weirs clear fairly quickly, or rather, quicker than in other places. If you know where to go the fishing can be pretty good yes. In Aliwal (town area itself) the water is generally never too great, but within about 45mins of driving you can have some seriously good sight-fishing opportunities.

    That said, I'd give up 2-years of fishing if we could just get decent consistent rains for the next 6 months.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Cheers to that Mario - I am down in CT at the moment and its terrible.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The water below a couple of large weirs clear fairly quickly, or rather, quicker than in other places. If you know where to go the fishing can be pretty good yes. In Aliwal (town area itself) the water is generally never too great, but within about 45mins of driving you can have some seriously good sight-fishing opportunities.

    That said, I'd give up 2-years of fishing if we could just get decent consistent rains for the next 6 months.
    Mario
    I am with you on the rain scenario.
    The Cape is bad.
    they predict 8mm of rain and then we have 8 drops of rain.
    I think whilst it is so dry and water will be relatively clear, you should do some recce trips to find the LM waters.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,399
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Hi Korrie

    I am down in the Southern Suburbs and it rained well yesterday and is currently raining, and will continue to rain the whole day. Something I noticed flying in, was that in some areas farmers dams are full, on other catchments, its looks like Mad Max. We just need it to rain consistently in the right places now.

    Glad to see guys have been catching in the streams though.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    The beauty of the LM yellow fishing, I think, is that if offers you the opportunity to do proper long casts, against a wily opponent (fish), with a big fly and do all the "classic" things we have read and seen from fly fishing, mending, swinging etc and end the end have a just reward for all of above mentioned.
    Little streams are great, but you cast 10 or 15 meters, land the fish in 15 seconds.
    With a decent LM, you do long casts, work for your fish, and then have a decent fight at the end.
    The same applies for SM on streamers, which have become very popular of late.
    More and more the fly fishers are realizing that the large SM are a very good quarry on fly and offers fantastic fun and requires a good skill level,
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I think whilst it is so dry and water will be relatively clear, you should do some recce trips to find the LM waters.
    Wish I could, but just soooo many other things that are requiring my time and attention at the moment :-( Some good, some bad. That's life however - will get better in the near future I suppose :-)
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Wish I could, but just soooo many other things that are requiring my time and attention at the moment :-( Some good, some bad. That's life however - will get better in the near future I suppose :-)
    I am with you on this one.
    it seems that the older I get, the less time I have for fishing and it should be the other way around.
    I work harder and longer hours than ever before. (my own stupidity. more staff, bigger company)

    But with the economy where it is, you have to take what you can and make every opportunity count.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •