Thread: Fishing in Sodwana Bay

Default Fishing in Sodwana Bay

Good morning everyone,

I am heading to Sodwana Bay for a few days this December and would just like some tips on the fishing there.
    Will it be worth it to take my fly rod along? I have got a 7 wt, which might be slightly to light (especially for the wind), but want to try my luck anyway.
    If so, what flies would be applicable and also possible spots in and around Sodwana?

Also with regards to a salt water fishing licence for Natal, can I obtain these at any post office for example even in Cape Town?

Thanks a lot!

Robert

you can fish from the rocky outcrop that forms the bay and where they launch the skiboats.
    Caught good fish there.
    A #7 might be light, if you hook a big fish, but it is better than no fishing rod.
    Along the coast direction SOUTH, there are a couple of rocky outcrops that have gullies that you can fish for blacktail etc at low tide or the last section of the dropping tide and the early part of pushing tide. a #7 will be fine.
    I know some wave garrick has been caught in the shore break as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I'm not sure what the fishing is like in Sodwana, but I had a great time at Rocktail Beach Camp (about 50km north of Sodwana) when I was there end of 2016. Much more remote than Sodwana and less pressured. Was my first time saltwater fly fishing and caught about 10 wave garrick in the surf and a few other fish I didn't recognise. There is always the possibility of some kingfish too. I was using the bog standard 9 weight with 2/0 Chartreuse Clouser combo.
    Last edited by Golden Rainbow; 07-12-17 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    you can fish from the rocky outcrop that forms the bay and where they launch the skiboats.
    Caught good fish there.
    A #7 might be light, if you hook a big fish, but it is better than no fishing rod.
    Along the coast direction SOUTH, there are a couple of rocky outcrops that have gullies that you can fish for blacktail etc at low tide or the last section of the dropping tide and the early part of pushing tide. a #7 will be fine.
    I know some wave garrick has been caught in the shore break as well.
    Thanks Korrie! I will try my luck at the spots you mentioned. Hopefully I strike a bit of luck and have a bit of fun with a fish or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Robert,

Fished there last year December, caught a small kingie and two wave garrick on a orange crazy Charlie. All on a 7wt.
    You will have to wake up as early as possible to avoid the crowds.
    Fish Jesser point, the rocks on the right of the bay where they launch the boats.

Hope it helps, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk