Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for deadly snail patterns?

Default Looking for deadly snail patterns?

Im looking to start fishing snail patterns in local stillwaters.I cant find any in SBS.Can some patterns please be recommended?

If you google 'snail fly pattern' you will get loads of results. But the peacock and spider(?) is a good snail immitation. I also cut a strip of dark brown foam about 10cm long x 5-6mm wide and 2mm thick, tie a simple overhand knot in it and viola you have a snail's shell body to tie onto your hook. Then make a small dubbing brush with olive/brown maribou to wrap around the base of the shell and tie off. add mono eyes for a fly that will catch fishermen.

If I remember correctly there are a few patterns and discussions on various threads here, so type snail pattern into the search bar

In the Dec/Jan issue of flyfishing magazine there is an article too with lots of info and some patterns and how to fish them. Both floating and sinking.

Very simple. #10 caddis hook. Tie thin strip of brown or black foam in. Dub brown/green marabou up the shank. The pull the foam over and tie off at the head.
    If you use open cell foam it will sink correctly. If you use closed cell foam, fish it above a lightly weighted nymph to get it to suspend sub-surface. Looks something like this and is deadly on kzn waters

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Thanks Graham looks great.
    Floating or sinking line?Retrieve method?
    Any chance you can post a bigger pic?

Snails free-drift once they detach from plants, usually after heavy wind, so no retrieve or very slow figure-8 just to stay in touch. I fish this on a floater, and try get it to suspend about 40cm sub-surface.
    I'll snap a pic of the ones in my box this evening.

Hey Graham
    Appreciate your help.
    Would you recommend the open cell foam or closed cell foam?I know you said if you use closed cell you should fish it above a weighted nymph.If open cell is it just fished at the end of the leader and it will sink to the desired depth?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hey Graham
    Appreciate your help.
    Would you recommend the open cell foam or closed cell foam?I know you said if you use closed cell you should fish it above a weighted nymph.If open cell is it just fished at the end of the leader and it will sink to the desired depth?
    Yeah pretty much that. I use open cell, that way it sinks very slowly and I control the depth with the retrieve. Here's a pic, looks much more snail-like when it's wet.

Fly.jpg

Great thank you

Tried to tie this last night.You said to dub some green and brown marabou on the thread to the shank under the foam.In the pic it looks as if you have left strands of marabou hanging down or is this just the marabou that has pulled down after some use?

No, you need to use a dubbing loop to get that effect. Dub the marabou in quite long and then pinch it off as needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast