Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argentina

Default Argentina

I did a 2,5 week trip to Argentina.

First went for a week to Bariloche and fished some amazing rivers around the area.
    Unfortuanately left our camera bag in the taxi as we got out, so not to many decent photos, only the ones from my cellphone
    The Pichu Lievu is beautiful little river with big fish in it.
    Fished the Manso River and Traful river and the amazing crystal clear Limay river and another small river Rio Minero.
    Amazing is not enough to describe it.
    Then went north to the Rio Panara.
    What a river. 3km wide.
    the low flow is 17 200cumec/second. High flow 62 000 cumecs per second.
    Where we fished, the river was 3km wide.
    Managed to catch the grand slam on the Parana river. Pacu, the pira pita and the Golden Dorado on my first afternoon, plus a piranha as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Cannot open "Manage Attachement" to add photos?????
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Korrie, that is a 'bucket list' tick. Can't wait for some photo's etc.

Welcome back mate.

Look forward to seeing those photo's.

I'm having the same problem trying to manage posting photo's as well. New album created but can't get photo's uploaded.

I have tried contacting admin and two moderators, but I think they might be away as there has been no answer to PM's.
    This site has been super slow of late, so I'm guessing holidays or blokes have taken up golf.

See what happens in next few days if there is any progress??

would love to see the pics, maybe just upload to: https://photos.google.com/ and link form there?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    In the mean time I will google some images and list the link to the images to show you what it looked like
    The Limay River flows out of the Nahuel Huapi Lake. This is a massive lake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuel_Huapi_Lake
    and the Limay flows out of the lake.
    You only fish the outlet when the wind blows, this is what it looks like when the wind blows
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuel_Huapi_Lake

Serious WIND.
    The main way to fish it is with drift boat
    https://www.tangol.com/Fotos/Tours/d...1211231300.JPG

I could not get a spot on a drift boat, as I did not book in time and the first week in Jan is their peak season.
    I fished from the side in a couple of spots, swinging huge Muddler zonker and got a couple of biggish fish.

There are really big fish in the system.
    http://www.argentina-fly-fishing.com...ster-brown.jpg

Ii fished smaller rivers as well.
    Rio Manso
    Rio Pichu Lievu
    Rio Traful
    Rio Man
    Rio Minero.
    Got fish in all except the Minero.
    They had a very heavy snowy winter and the one day we where there, we got 70mm of rain all over, so the rivers where much higher and many cloudy.

Got invited to a genuine gaucho's house whilst I was next to the river. had an amazing 45 minutes with him, could not communicate much as he ONLY speak spannish and I know 10 Spanish words.

Google the rivers and images of the rivers and you will get an idea in the mean time
    Korrie Broos

Then I went north to Sante Fe to fish for golden dorado on the Rio Parana.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran%C3%A1_River
    This is a HUGE RIVER.
    3km wide and flows at low flows at 17 200cumcs and very high is 62 000 cumecs.
    When in flood the flood plains are up to 40km wide.
    We drove over the flood plains for 20km and they showed me the height on the trees when the area is flooded, they then come and collect you with a boat in the town.
    I caught the grand slam and had good success with the golden dorado.
    on the second day, the river rose by 15cm or so and later a bit more, how much rain must have fallen to rise this river???

I spent my time at www.piracualodge.com.ar
    My biggest fish was a 10kg fish, a couple of 8kg and 6kg and some smaller fish.

I had a couple of amazing sightings.
    I had a dorado of about 40cm on the hook,about 10meters from the boat, I saw how a giant dorado (guides guest it 15kg plus) swallow the whole fish, 30cm of steel trace and some 40 pound fluoro carbon being bitten off.
    The really big fish hunt in groups, about 15m from the boat how 3 huge dorado in a shallow back eddy grab a 5kg fish and demolish it in 15 to 20 seconds. this was vicous to see.
    But google images and I will post photos later.
    Korrie Broos

Then I went north to Sante Fe to fish for golden dorado on the Rio Parana.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran%C3%A1_River
    This is a HUGE RIVER.
    3km wide and flows at low flows at 17 200cumcs and very high is 62 000 cumecs.
    When in flood the flood plains are up to 40km wide.
    We drove over the flood plains for 20km and they showed me the height on the trees when the area is flooded, they then come and collect you with a boat in the town.
    I caught the grand slam and had good success with the golden dorado.
    on the second day, the river rose by 15cm or so and later a bit more, how much rain must have fallen to rise this river???

I spent my time at www.piracualodge.com.ar
    My biggest fish was a 10kg fish, a couple of 8kg and 6kg and some smaller fish.

I had a couple of amazing sightings.
    I had a dorado of about 40cm on the hook,about 10meters from the boat, I saw how a giant dorado (guides guest it 15kg plus) swallow the whole fish, 30cm of steel trace and some 40 pound fluoro carbon being bitten off.
    The really big fish hunt in groups, about 15m from the boat how 3 huge dorado in a shallow back eddy grab a 5kg fish and demolish it in 15 to 20 seconds. this was vicous to see.
    But google images and I will post photos later.
    The river is so big that I took photographs of much bigger ships than this on the Parana river.
    This is a photo of a ship on the Parana river.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran%...te_Parana1.jpg
    Korrie Broos

Lets try a couple of photos.
    Pacu and Pira Pita, 2 thirds of the Grand Slam.
    these fish feed on nuts falling from the trees and you catch them with a "plastic ball" as your fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Korrie; 20-01-18 at 10:08 AM.
    Korrie Broos

The other third of the Grand Slam.
    I got a 10kg fish, a couple of 8kg, and some of 6kg and a number of smaller fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast