Thread: Balito area salt water

Default Balito area salt water

Good day all.

We are planing a trip to Balito area March / April `19 and i was wondering if it will be worth wile taking my 6/wt with for some fun.

Hi. There are plenty of opportunities in the Ballito area to target the likes of moonies and flagtails with little white fritz's, salty buggers, charlies etc, and normally lots of those type of fish around, and always good fun to catch! There's always the chance of picking up small kingies or shad with those types of flies. Alternatively you can use slightly bigger flies and target the shad specifically if they are around.

Hi Nick
    thanks for you're reply.
    where can i get my hands on some of the above flies ??
    do you have any suggested spots to target ?
    any
    advice would be much appreciated.

There is a Basil Manning shop in Ballito who should stock the flies you need and would be able to offer you good advice on locations where the fish are biting at the time. For those smaller fish there are lots of suitable spots along that coastline though - generally look for areas where there is white water and deeper gulleys alongside rocky outcrops so that you can cast from the rocks into slightly deeper water. If the shops don't stock smaller saltwater flies (ideally around size 8 or even 10) then look in the "trout fly" section for white fritz's or woolly buggers which will also do the trick. Those hooks might not last beyond the holiday with the salt water, but will serve their purpose for your trip!