Thread: winter drifts

Default winter drifts

I am keen to target yellows on a dry this winter. I have an ark, with a sneaker motor and was wondering if anyone knows where is best to use it on the Vaal. What about the Schoemansdrift to Elgro lodge drift? But my suspicion is that with it being winter, flow rates will be low and would require getting out the boat at places and wading through ice cold water.

You can do that drift in winter - many people do. You might get stuck on a rock or two but wear waders. They help against the cold anyway.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Thanks, I better get out dem waders. I was wondering if another option is to launch from Elgro and fish around there?

You cant get far on the boat unfortunately if you launch there. Above and below parys I know people regularly launch their boats and come back to the same spot- I dont know that area so well. Down this side Raaswater is an option - it has a huge pool with good dry fly fishing at dawn.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

definitely wear waders, you need to get out and drag the boat quite a few times. For yellows on dry the action is pretty spot specific and seems to happen in the same place. For Elgro there is a good pool on the drift for yellows on dry, its about the third one you get to. higher up the vaal you can can try the big pool @Eendekuil and also taking the ark downstream from Eendekuil a few KM's and the Yellowfish Paradise area.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Thanks guy, I think I must brave the cold and do that drift and hopeful hits some yellas on a dry