Thread: Portuguese Prego Rolls

Default Portuguese Prego Rolls

Not sure if anybody is still on this forum anymore as it's so slow.

At any rate, looking to plug into the old brains trust if there's any left in SA

Seriously though, have been craving a decent prego roll.
    Some of the old blokes on here would know exactly what I'm talking about - those R5.00 ones from the shopping center on a Saturday morning after a big Friday night.
    (I'm guessing they'd be about R105.00 by now..........but I digress)

I've scoured the internet and looked at the different recipes, but some of them are nowhere near the old flavours that i can still taste and imagine. The best ones used to be from areas like Rosettenville in the south where the Portuguese community were.
    Minute steaks with lots of garlic and secret spices over hot coals into Bap Rolls (Portuguese rolls).

There was one of the best beer halls called the Radium just down the road from Gone Fishing in Orange Grove that served some of the best pregos at lunch time and over weekends.
    A prego with a mountain of chips and a cold beer with lots of authentic peri-peri sauce.

Anybody on here from a Portuguese background that can get the real recipe.

Nando's were OK, but I'm really looking for the real deal if possible please.
    Just a touch of nostalgia for the real deal for some reason.

Thanks a ton in advance.

PS Drop me a PM if the mother-in-law or the wife doesn't want her recipe splashed on the net.
    If it swims........it's fair game.

Hi Kevin,

Have you had had your Prego Roll by now? Hope so

Nah mate -

Not quite yet -
    I got a bit distracted with some Chinese roasted pork I used to do whilst living in Singapore.

Interestingly enough though, I think I may well have found what I was looking for so thanks for the interest.
    If it swims........it's fair game.