Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sally Hansen

Wiets Banned User

Default Sally Hansen

Can somebody please tell me more about the use of Sally Hansen in fly tying.
    Am I correct in understanding that Sally Hansen is a nail varnish?
    Which Sally Hnsen product should one use? Thanks!

The one to use generally is 'Hard As Nails' which is colourless and dries pretty quickly and adds a firm coating to your whip-finish. You can apply more than one coat for greater strength/looks. There is an 'Advanced Hard As Nails' which dries even quicker but I find it very difficult to get hold of this one.

hard as nails. you can use it to coat the thread once you've tied off the fly. Also nice to coat lead wraps etc. I use it on bodies to achieve a nice gloss look
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Can somebody please tell me more about the use of Sally Hansen in fly tying.
    Am I correct in understanding that Sally Hansen is a nail varnish?
    Which Sally Hnsen product should one use? Thanks!
    Hi Wiets,

Yes, it is a nail varnish - I use it in place of head cement. You can use whatever colour you like although I mainly use the clear. It gives a nice shine to flies and with a brush applicator is easy to use.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Yes , the produst is hard as nails. I use it as well, but find that it can be a bit brittle at times, and aftr a while, seems to chip off, and loses it's effect. What I find works better, is Flytyer head cement, thinned out with pure acetone, and used with a brush applicator. For securing the tie off on very small drie flies, I use one strand of copper wire dipped into the liqid, and drawn accross the tie off so as not to clog the eye of the hook. When applying to the posts of parachutes before the hackle is tied in, I use the point of the bodkin dipped into the head cement. For best results the head cement viscosity needs to be kept quite thin For Czech nymphs and Vaal flies, the brush works well

Wiets, in addition to Sally Hansons Hard As Nails (squarish green bottle), the other 2 essential fly tying fluids are:

Superglue, try to get the Loctite Quicktite one with a brush applicator (blue bottle)
    Loon Soft Head (round bottle also with brush) - this stuff is awesome for saltwater flies...

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Superglue, try to get the Loctite Quicktite one with a brush applicator (blue bottle)
    Too right Eben, I use superglue extensively - compensates for my poor tying techniques and smells good too.

eish kevin ! you supposed to sniff the merlot, not the superglue...

b.t.w. watched a flyfishing thing on DSTV over the weekend of some holywood actor type fishing at Western Rivers Lodge on the south island.

checked out their website today, the rates are astronomical, but looks very pretty...

we had our friends that are leaving for NZ in Aug down for a goodbye visit over the weekend. they hoping to settle in Nelson, SI... already making plans for a visit next year

Wiets, another product that works quite well is the clear glass varnish made by Heritage products. You'll find it in any craft shop. Like the nail varnish, it is thinned with acetone and it is also a bit brittle. You'll have to find/make your own applicator. It also gives a nice glossy finish and dries quickly, if that is what you want. And it is a lot cheaper.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

Hard as nails is also good for Caddis wings. Just apply to the underside of a feather of choice, let dry and cut out.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.