1 2.94%
  • Presentation

14 41.18%
  • Both equally important

19 55.88%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Imitation vs Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Why should a dry fly purist worry about depth ? Surely that is only the concern of lesser nymph and streamer fishermen ?
    Eish, I have been learning a thing or two about stillwaters lately.........I'm finding this subsurface thing hugely appealing in fact I've been experimenting with soft hackled flies and loving it!

Next season, I'm going to be dabbling with soft hackle flies on the streams. I think there is a lot to be said for these flies.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    of course you need to experiment with different flies and different colours etc, but even more important is delivering the fly to the fish, at the depth the fish is feeding at. I have had my eye wiped too many times to know that this is true. During these times, I was using the same fly, fishing to the same spot, yet was not as successful. The combination of things my fellow angler was doing at the time (his presentation) is what made all the difference!
    correctomundo Chris, I have seen it all to often where someone struggles, blames fly and everything else, you look at his rig, looks okay, have a cst with it, get a fish.

firstly not only me but im sure there are many fly-men that go and pursue a fish in winter.

If the fly does not look like some think it wants to eat (fuvk not enough energy to move not big enough ect) damn happy winter fishing for you
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Why should a dry fly purist worry about depth ? Surely that is only the concern of lesser nymph and streamer fishermen ?
    Ha, ha, ha Daryll, I can see you in one of those moods.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Eish, I have been learning a thing or two about stillwaters lately.........I'm finding this subsurface thing hugely appealing in fact I've been experimenting with soft hackled flies and loving it!

Next season, I'm going to be dabbling with soft hackle flies on the streams. I think there is a lot to be said for these flies.
    Soft hackles, eh Chris. My absolute forte, I love them on the streams. Fish it about 30cm behind your favorite dry, better still invite me along to watch.

THis is a very interesting topic. I would have to go with presentation not only for dry fly but also for nymph fishing. As long as the fly has some recognition keys to it you dont have to imitate the exact insect as long as the fly has some of these keys,eg translucency, multicolour, transperency, movement etc. I fish a fly (nymph) that doesnt look like any insect and I will take fish on it in any river. My most fish in a day is 45 trout and that is with 3 people fishing the water ahead of me. THis fly has some key recognition keys in it and works a treat. THis fly works because it represents a food like thing that the trout recognises as food. The presentation of this fly to the trout at the right depth and with the correct drift is what makes it so successful. Things more important than an exact imitation is the size and colour of the fly. The way the fly is fished is important and I suppose this translates into presentation.

Hope this is as clear as mud :-)

I would go with presentation, merely because 95% of fly fishers visiting fly shops and venues 1st question is "What flies are working?", not leader length, tippet size, depth, line type etc.

Both in my mind is very important. One would surely not go out and buy a 4X4 that has a perfect engine, suspension is the best on the market but it is painted in the most *** awefull colour.

Same goes for fishing, one may be able to present a fly flawless and catch fish, but add a fly that better match the hatch and you will double your chances.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3