Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only fool ....

Wiets Banned User

Default Am I the only fool ....

Am I the only fool buying materials in bulk and actively seeking alternative materials?
    It's kind of lonely here ....!

Hi Wiets

You are not alone...I actively seek alternate materials all the time. For example, dash-board fur comes in 20 colours and makes excellent fly tying material...
    I also buy most of materials from the USA...works out half-price than buying it locally.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Wiets

You are not alone...I actively seek alternate materials all the time. For example, dash-board fur comes in 20 colours and makes excellent fly tying material...
    I also buy most of materials from the USA...works out half-price than buying it locally.
    Hi Michael

Dashboard fur - I need to stock up on that. Where do you buy yours?

Got plans to raid my hounds' tails for hackles. Summer's coming. Should be plenty of other loose fur drifting about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Hi Michael

Dashboard fur - I need to stock up on that. Where do you buy yours?
    Oriental plaza in JHB CBD if I'm not mistaken hey Michael?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I buy lots oseas in UK, Oz and US. I also scout the local flea markets/plazas and more especially any wildlife feathers/fur I find on my travels at the waterside or in the bush

Cheers!

fool no, but the only one with a big boat/flytying/fishing vessel ... possibly
    the patient mental...

Hi Wiets
    I think people are constantly looking for alternatives, I know I am. They just don't buy in bulk though. I think what I'm going to do is get a few guys together and we split the parcel, otherwise buying in bulk I'm never going to get through it all.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Am I the only fool buying materials in bulk and actively seeking alternative materials?
    It's kind of lonely here ....!
    No, probably just the only guy with a little goldmine in his backyard
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I'm still trying to understand why you are buying the stuff you are in the quantities you are buying it. What exactly are you planning to do with it all? I'm not sure a commercial fly tyer would even be buying such quantities of some of these items.

Most of the things I've seen you post here are not really things I would typically use in any sort of quantities, so it would just sit and gather dust. Skins, pelts etc etc, I think one of a particular kind would be enough to last someone a lifetime. For instance, looking at something like a Hare's mask. I've been tying for quite a few years now, and regularly use this material, and yet I am still on my first one of each colour. My hackle capes look brand new, despite having used 100's of feathers. Its going to take many years before I need to replace even one of them.

I do love searching for new materials and am always on the lookout, but I tend to only buy very small quantities of new materials, and then if I find I am using a them regularly, I bulk up on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.