Thread: Kayak for saltwater fishing

Default Kayak for saltwater fishing

Hi

I saw this kayak in the TCFF. It seems very nice for fishing. It is made locally and therfore the price is not to bad. The website is www.hunterski.co.za. Have a look there and ask them to send you more info and photo's.

I think it will work really well for inshore and estuary fishing.

Cheers
    Jannie

Jannie, the idea has been debated on the site. Look at http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...g+from+a+kayak.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

HI Herman

Did not want to debate it. I just think that this is a good practical kayak designed for fishing.

Cheers
    Jannie

Hi Jannie,
    I had a look at the kayak and it looks awesome! Ok. Like each product on the market it has its pros and cons - for example if you want to use this specific kayak in the shallow, rocky, conditions on the Vaal. I have a few concerns over the polyethylene kayak taking a lot of abuse not even to mention the steering system and noise factor, should you want to stalk Largies. Inflatables on the other hand are so much more suitable for these conditions but it has its down side too like the effort to inflate, deflate, and pack and punchers.
    So at the end of the day one should look at a craft that would provide you with the best service in the type of conditions you mostly find yourself in.
    Last edited by Nymph+O-; 19-07-07 at 09:39 AM.
    No PAIN No Gain

Hi there:

I also used a hard hulled old "aasboot" on the vaal - and will most propbaly use it again due to not having anything else for the time being - and have to agree with Herman and company, they make a lot of noise when bumping against subsurface rocks you cannot see and are a bit difficult to manoeuvre through tight spots and shallow sections because they cannot slide/glide over obstacles as easy as an inflatable.

At least the kayaks slim shape should make it more unobtrusive to wary fish over the braoder baitboat versions

HI

I think it will work well for INSHORE or ESTUARY fishing.

Cheers
    Jannie

Hi Jannie, I could not agree more + it looks like this puppy is good for all terrains after I made and enquiry on the finer details….
    I reckon I'm going to get myself one.

"Polyethylene is extremely robust.
    It cannot crack, tear or loose its strength.
    This is why these polyethylene boats have become so popular, traditionally ski's have been made out of fiberglass, which is rigid but will crack and break at the sight of a rock.
    The plastic will take the impact by bending and then return to its original shape.
    This really is one of my kayaks greatest advantages.
    It may get a slight scratch, but this is no problem and is to be expected.

I offer a two year warranty on the workmanship.
    The polyethylene has a 5 year UV stabilizer and is under warranty for that period.
    It will last for ever if looked after it properly.

The steering system has two control lines under the paddler’s right leg.
    One locks the rudder in to the water for use.
    The other pulls the rudder out of the water for beaching or when in shallow water.
    It would not damage the rudder severely if it had to knock a rock while locked in for use."
    No PAIN No Gain