Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dullstoom

I fished in and around Dullies this weekend, had an awesome time. The wins was gailforce at times, but did manage to get 13 fish on Saturday, all on hopped patterns smashed along the side. Was a bit like being at Sterkies. The fish were all in excellent condition, biggest was about 4 kgs. The fish are in spawning mode and are chasing each other around. The males are super aggressive, pretty much hitting everything. Sunday was a wash out due to the wind, I was blown backwards off the dam wall at a stage. The more I go to Dullies the more I enjoy it. I suppose there is fun to be had bashing small dams, but I suppose its how you do it.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I was also up there and it was awesome! a farmer took me out to his section of river and i managed to get 5 in an hour ! and landed my first river brown from that area . The stillwaters were awesome as well. my biggest fish was 55cm on the dot.

Nice going man! I have been fishing Mavungana's waters - but always looking for new spots. Where did you visit? I am planning to go back this weekend, looks like the wind will be better.

I started in Lydenburg at highland run and i won't be back . then i moved over to Beth shean . I've been there a few times and i've never been disappointed. his dams are healthy and have some big boys in there . Some people don't like the place because they cant reach the fish . but if you know what you are doing you will have an awesome day. Maybe contact the village angler in Dullstroom and ask them about the waters you can get through them .

Thanks very much Craig will do! Looking forward to another weekend out there!

Hello all,

At Millstream at the moment, arrived yesterday, and all I can say is so far the fishing has been a lot more challenging then the traditional Millstream fishing. It may have to do with the colder water, on my gauge 11 deg...

In times like this what can one do deliver the goods? I had some success this evening on a small small PTN, floating line, and 5x on a 18ft leader... Also had some luck at last light with a white death on floating line...

But, I still haven't hooked into anything greater than 40cm, although the fish I did get were not 'stockies', they have better fin structure and colour, they are not terribly big...

Is it worth throwing the old WB and strip strip strip? For bigger fish, or are there other methods on a more technical side?
    Also in times of cold, slow fishing, what helps you guys 'produce' fish? Have friends coming over the weekend and would like to get them into some vis....

Cheers
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

James, what usually works for me are Papa Roaches in Claribelle, wading to get past the water grass. You'll also find spawners off the cliff at Cbelle. They're difficult though. Cast a big nymph out & retrieve it off the bottom as a fish approaches. Sometimes works. Try the top weirs with WB's with a bit of orange in the tail. Good luck! How's the wind?
    Mike Mitchley

sun burst blob never fails at millstream . if you have 2 blobs on you might get a double up . yellow blobs , chartreuse blobs , pink blobs , any blob works at millstream

Quote Originally Posted by muddler View Post
    James, what usually works for me are Papa Roaches in Claribelle, wading to get past the water grass. You'll also find spawners off the cliff at Cbelle. They're difficult though. Cast a big nymph out & retrieve it off the bottom as a fish approaches. Sometimes works. Try the top weirs with WB's with a bit of orange in the tail. Good luck! How's the wind?
    Thanks!

Wind is average! Not gale, but certainly strong enough, abt 15km per hour...

Looks like tempts are warming a tiny bit, so should get better... Had great fun at abt 3pm casting tiny white paras to rising fish! But sadly there isn't really a hatch this time of year...
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Orange WB, pancora WB, or orange blob will be deadly on a sinking line, fast retrieve. Gunk the fly up with floatant so it sits off the bottom.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast