Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairs to rod handles?

Thanks Scythe, I will retip it and give it a go from the croc2 when I fish the Nigel dam for bass/barbel in April
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

My advice would be to not even mess about fixing cheap rods. Spend the bucks and buy something decent with a good warranty, from a good dealer.
    It's like tyres on your car. You can fix a puncture, but one day you are going to expect it to behave like the perfect one. When it doesnt, you are going to regret going the "penny wise pound foolish route" This is my opinion, and I do understand that some flyfishermen genuinely cannot afford expensive tackle, and although expensive rods reels etc. doesn't neccessarrily make you fish better, they do last longer and are a helluva easier to hand back to the dealer and say "replace" when they break

Most definately, I'm just saying that you can re-tip a rod and use it providing you still like the action, retipping is usually around R20 so financially speaking, re-tip and then decide on wether or not to buy a new toy.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Most definately, I'm just saying that you can re-tip a rod and use it providing you still like the action, retipping is usually around R20 so financially speaking, re-tip and then decide on wether or not to buy a new toy.
    Guys, I've already replaced the rod with a Xplorer Classic 9' 5/6#. I was just wondering if I couldn't salvage the old rod as basically a "back up" rod. Seeing that p*ss poor service from the average tackle shop seems to be the norm in Gauteng, especially as far as replacements are concerned this might not be bad idea.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Guys, I've already replaced the rod with a Xplorer Classic 9' 5/6#. I was just wondering if I couldn't salvage the old rod as basically a "back up" rod. Seeing that p*ss poor service from the average tackle shop seems to be the norm in Gauteng, especially as far as replacements are concerned this might not be bad idea.
    Herman, if you still have all the pieces I would gladly do a repair on the rod for you. PM me or mail me.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12