Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mtentu River

Default Mtentu River

Niel Malan posted some photos of Mtentu River in the Member's Gallery. Seems like Fly Fishing Paradise. Niel mind sharing some info regarding this wonderfull venue ?

Hear hear, that place looks awesome! 3 GTs in one trip is good going as well!!

Hi All,

Ben Pretorius from Ufudu used to run fly fishing camps at Mtentu during October, November and december. He had a consession, which I believe expired and can't run the camps anymore. It is in a conservancy and no fishing is allowed at the moment. Might be wrong, anyone else with info?

Wink

i have no idea...but if that's the case..one of you older buggers should get rights and organise for us budget fishermen! hehe

Hi guys
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is as follows:
    You are allowed to fish between the Mtentu and Msikaba rivers (Rock and surf) but fishing either of the rivers themselves is not allowed. I think that even ski boats are not permitted offshore between the 2 rivers. The area between the rivers is a reserve with some nice accomodatiion available and plenty wildlife with the most amazing scenery. Not to sure what happened to the concession to fish Mtentu. If you can get there, go, its one of the most magic places ever, even if the fish aren't biting.

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    i have no idea...but if that's the case..one of you older buggers should get rights and organise for us budget fishermen! hehe
    Hear- hear for a budget trip! Allways wanted to try for "Kingies" (no matter what size) even been affar as "Moz" (on a budget, nothing fancy like Bazaruto...), no luck! ... and with the way the fishing's going @ Strand this moment...

Doing a week at Mboyti between xmas and newyears and then a week at Mazzeppa.........whaaaahahahahahaaaaa

If anyone can get the chance to fish Magazana River over this summer, take it!! Place gets stcked up with Skippies over the summer time....last season they were klapping Skippies around the 7 kilo mark!!! Thats fuin fishing and it is also a magically beautiful place!!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Hi guys
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is as follows:
    You are allowed to fish between the Mtentu and Msikaba rivers (Rock and surf) but fishing either of the rivers themselves is not allowed. I think that even ski boats are not permitted offshore between the 2 rivers. The area between the rivers is a reserve with some nice accomodatiion available and plenty wildlife with the most amazing scenery. Not to sure what happened to the concession to fish Mtentu. If you can get there, go, its one of the most magic places ever, even if the fish aren't biting.

Seriously??? Whoops, we go to Mkambathi every so often and fish the Msikaba- it's absolutely awesome fishing. If it is illegal, then ignore this post...

Seriously though, I am sure that fishing is allowed in the Miskaba. Unless this has changed in the last two years (when I was last there). There were always lots of other guys fishing with us.

I can still see that river in my minds eye- we were there once when the fish were so chokka block it was unbelievable. Every time we got to the waters edge at dawn we would look out over the river and it would just shiver as the mullet were marauded left right and centre... it's an awesome awesome place.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi All,

Ben Pretorius from Ufudu used to run fly fishing camps at Mtentu during October, November and december. He had a consession, which I believe expired and can't run the camps anymore. It is in a conservancy and no fishing is allowed at the moment. Might be wrong, anyone else with info?
    Try the following link: http://www.ufudu.co.za/mtentu_page.htm

Looks like the concession has expired and that 2005 was the last season - they are hoping to get it renewed in some form or other. May be worth contacting Ufudu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast