Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mtentu River

Re:#9
    Kevin you are correct, 2 years ago it probably was still permitted. I fish there at least once a year and if memory serves me correctly from last year they stopped the fishing in the river. We used to use a small inflatable with an old seagull outboard to go up to the rapids to fish, but not any more. I spoke to my uncle who fishes there whenever he can (bugger lives in Port Edward)and he says they even trying to stop boats being launched from the beach. If you ever witnessed the Msikaba Ski boat tournament this is probably not a bad thing. One year the river washed the beach away and the incoming waves rolled down all the way to the bend in the river, the mouth must have been eighty metres wide. We stood on the drop off casting big flies until some serious johnnies swam past and up the river about twenty metres out. After that it was back to the surf sticks! But still great fishing. Awesome place.

Forgive me if I am being naive, but my understanding is that in SA all water below the high water mark on the coast and up estuaries is public land? Navigable water is also public. So you should be able to walk up an estuary. Or you could launch a boat at a public place and then motor up.

Unless the area is a nature reserve, surely you should be able to fish there?

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Re:#9
    Kevin you are correct, 2 years ago it probably was still permitted. I fish there at least once a year and if memory serves me correctly from last year they stopped the fishing in the river. We used to use a small inflatable with an old seagull outboard to go up to the rapids to fish, but not any more. I spoke to my uncle who fishes there whenever he can (bugger lives in Port Edward)and he says they even trying to stop boats being launched from the beach. If you ever witnessed the Msikaba Ski boat tournament this is probably not a bad thing. One year the river washed the beach away and the incoming waves rolled down all the way to the bend in the river, the mouth must have been eighty metres wide. We stood on the drop off casting big flies until some serious johnnies swam past and up the river about twenty metres out. After that it was back to the surf sticks! But still great fishing. Awesome place.
    Thanks for the heads-up Rory. I seriously thought that we were fishing the estuary legally. It's a great pity that the Msikaba River is closed to fishing now- it is such a stunning river- guess it's back to the drawing board to find another relatively unknown Transkei river to fish!

Re #12
    Other Kevin, your understanding is correct but what you say about the nature reserve is exactly whats happened. Not only is the coastline from Mtentu to Msikaba a reserve, but the land side as well. So to make it all legal and official they stopped the fishing in the river. I think its now known as The Pondoland Nature Reserve or something, one of the many reasons they never built the freeway down there. It is a bummer for the fishing but a big plus for conservation. Again I might be wrong here but I think the border of the reserve has been pushed south of the msikaba river mouth to include the Island, which means the beach where the boats normally launched falls within the reserve.

Guys, if I remember correctly there is an article in the Nov issue of Stywe Lyne about the do's and dont's of fishing in the Pondoland nature Reserve. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about where you are allowed to fish
    Hope it helps.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Guys. Did any of you watch the last 50/50. The whole Mtentu story goes much deeper. Its sad really sad how corruption and greed is robbing from us all.

Link to the program transcript. READ IT !!!

http://www.5050.co.za/inserts.asp?ID=7372

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys. Did any of you watch the last 50/50. The whole Mtentu story goes much deeper. Its sad really sad how corruption and greed is robbing from us all.

Link to the program transcript. READ IT !!!

http://www.5050.co.za/inserts.asp?ID=7372
    Hi Pierre

Thanks for that - very sad and interesting at the same time.I think the bottom line is that mining in the area has to be avoided at all costs.There is nothing to be gained in the long term by the local community and everything to lose.The degradation of that pristine environment will be a loss to us all and simply cannot be allowed.

Here's the DEAT link for recreational fishing on the coast:
    http://www.mcm-deat.gov.za/recreatio..._brochure_2006.

The name suggests this is the latest info, but I'm not too sure of it, these guys change regulations more often than I change clouser minnows in the middle of a shad run. Makes interesting reading though and is pretty comprehensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12