Thread: A Yak to shave

Wiets Banned User

Default A Yak to shave

I finally found a white long haired Yak to shave.
    The owner estimate that it will yield about 5 kg of 14" long hair.
    The hair will be shaved, washed, combed, stacked and made up in pony tail
    bundles. Best of all, the Yak will not be killed.

What a mission! Four go betweens and Google Translate from English to
    Chinese and back - there is even a Tibetan Buddhist Monk involved with a
    good dose of customary prayers in every email.

How to get the money to them and then make sure I get the goods - well,
    that will be another story!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    I finally found a white long haired Yak to shave.
    The owner estimate that it will yield about 5 kg of 14" long hair.
    The hair will be shaved, washed, combed, stacked and made up in pony tail
    bundles. Best of all, the Yak will not be killed.

What a mission! Four go betweens and Google Translate from English to
    Chinese and back - there is even a Tibetan Buddhist Monk involved with a
    good dose of customary prayers in every email.

How to get the money to them and then make sure I get the goods - well,
    that will be another story!
    You never cease to amaze me, Wiets! A shame Buddhist monks shave their pates otherwise he could have send you some freebie samples of his hair as well!! VERY interested to hear as/when this stuff arrives. Maybe time for a size 10/0 monster fly, or maybe it can be used as ribbing, I've never seen the stuff I must admit! Well done!

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    You never cease to amaze me, Wiets! A shame Buddhist monks shave their pates otherwise he could have send you some freebie samples of his hair as well!! VERY interested to hear as/when this stuff arrives. Maybe time for a size 10/0 monster fly, or maybe it can be used as ribbing, I've never seen the stuff I must admit! Well done!
    Hi Chris

Believe it or not! I ordered and received bundles of natural human hair from India.

and now? do you have any recourse? will you ever get the yak hair you ordered?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    and now? do you have any recourse? will you ever get the yak hair you ordered?
    Rols, I haven't ordered the yak hair yet - I am about to order.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hi Chris

This is what another website have to say about Yak hair;

"Yak Hair - The most amazing extra long material I've ever seen! This is the nearest thing I've seen to the now illegal polar bear hair, at least in textures and translucency....this hair is much longer! It's brilliantly clear even though the colors are are surprisingly rich. This is the good stuff for you guys that would like to make big long flies, it's 14" - 15" long! The hair is solid, not hollow like bucktail, so it doesn't absorb much water and casts very well. If you haven't seen this yak hair, you really need to, it will open lots of doors for your fly tying."

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Hi Chris

This is what another website have to say about Yak hair;

"Yak Hair - The most amazing extra long material I've ever seen! This is the nearest thing I've seen to the now illegal polar bear hair, at least in textures and translucency....this hair is much longer! It's brilliantly clear even though the colors are are surprisingly rich. This is the good stuff for you guys that would like to make big long flies, it's 14" - 15" long! The hair is solid, not hollow like bucktail, so it doesn't absorb much water and casts very well. If you haven't seen this yak hair, you really need to, it will open lots of doors for your fly tying."
    Thanks, sounds wonderful, as we all always say, we live and learn every day in flyfishing!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.