Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do you do this?

I know this is an old post but where is it in strand that you guys target the sand sharks? I am going to langebaan for the long weekend for sand sharks but if i enjoy fishing for them then I would like to do so more often, but i litle closer to home.

Thanks

Jason
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Also, when targeting big fish like sharks it is impossible to fight them with only the reel, so you fight it with the strongest part of your body, your legs!

You walk back a ways to win some line and then run towards the water reeling in like mad to win back some line.
    You will also see them kneeling every now and then while walking backwards or forwards, that is like anchoring yourself and putting serious stress on the fish to try and turn it.

Admin, please remove this post & delete the above user....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Also, when targeting big fish like sharks it is impossible to fight them with only the reel, so you fight it with the strongest part of your body, your legs!

You walk back a ways to win some line and then run towards the water reeling in like mad to win back some line.
    You will also see them kneeling every now and then while walking backwards or forwards, that is like anchoring yourself and putting serious stress on the fish to try and turn it.
    Something else to concider here.
    The majority of the rock and surf reels around are single speed reels. they are generally rated to retrieve line at around 5 or 6 to 1 ratio's. the problem with that is similar to using a big cog to go uphill on a bicycle. so the guys then engage low range and walk up the beach to gain line back.
    unfortunatly most reels available only have the one option and those that do have a 2 speed option are concidered to be too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by garyatstealth View Post
    so the guys then engage low range and walk up the beach to gain line back..
    Hahaha, excellent analogy.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

In my bronzie search so far, I have not yet had the pleasure of having to get to a higher point to get my line over reefs.

Hopefully this summer it will be my turn, and when it happens, I cannot wait to be up on the dunes at strandfontein, with 18 wheelers flying under my line as my Bronzie heads for the horizon! Just hope he doesn't get loose and the slack in my line falls in front of a Taxi on it's way to Kayelitsha. That'll be a strong test for my Torium!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2