Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flyfishing Bali

Hi All
    Just a quick report back on the bali trip.
    I didnt get to fish off of any of the boats at Nusa Dua as they where traditional outrigger boats whith a roof on so you cannt cast off them , well I couldnt see a way of castin off one of them as there are poles all over the place to surport the roof structure and it would have caused untold havoc.
    The trip was a total blast but way too short - I felt I needed at least 4 weeks to get to know the place and the locals who know where to go.
    I got some fish spearfishing, nice baraccuta and a large GT and spotted travelly just off the hotel off a dhow boat which cost about 500 000 rupea, about R400 per half a day. You tell the boat where to go and they take you anywhere you like. There wherre quite a bit of white tip reef sharks on the reef and there would be more as the current increased. The reef had a lot of fish on it - lots of huge bumpheads and unicorn fish - but not many game fish. I was later told by the locals that the best season is in december as this is when Spanish macker move in shore and they are targeted by the fisherman. They have been caught up to 50kgs which is large, also lots of dogtooth tuna and GT as long as there is a current.
    The water temp was an average of 25c the whole week and its a paradise for the sea adventurous people.
    Got some good surfing done at Uluwatu and DreamLand - crowds are a bit hetic but the waves made up for it.
    Next time I would like to go 4 about a month and then try and fish off the more remote parts of Bali.
    All in all I am a bit sad to be back in South Africa - I miss Bali already and I am planning to hopefully go again in december.
    Same Same but different.
    Its a great place and if you can go there I would recommed it.

Bali is an absolute Paradise at really amazing prices! .... we went there 2 years ago ... and could live cheaper that I do at home. We hired a car and saw most of the island (highly recommended - although driving takes a bit of getting used to!! ).

We were there for 4 weeks and should have stayed longer!! ... maybe forever!!!
    Last edited by Jasper; 18-09-07 at 10:25 AM.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I agree I would also like to stay there for ever, we even looked into buying property there but you have to be an indonesian citizen, so my RSA citizenship doesnt do me much good
    You can buy a huge house for under R500K in a good area.
    Pitty you dont find that in SA anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I agree You can buy a huge house for under R500K in a good area.
    Pitty you dont find that in SA anymore!
    Noel, You are soooo right, I live in what was once a nice quiet, sleepy dorp called Vanderbijlpark. 3 years ago we bought a "wreck" for under 160k, whilst still busy removing one of the 32 bakkie loads of "rubble" we were offerrd 220k, {noy even having moved in! ).
    There is NO WAY you will get a place in this town ANYWHERE for 500k, in fact the ex Sandton, Bryanston land barons are moving in because for now it's quicker to commute from Vandebijl to the Southern/Central Jhb.
    Maybe it's time to flog and move to Koppies
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I was offered a house ON the beach in Lovina (North shore of Bali) for the equivalent of about R75000!)

The view from the house:
    Last edited by Jasper; 12-09-07 at 07:44 AM.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Now thats a steal
    just the view is worth 10 times that amount

7. Default Does anyone know ANYTHING about Bali freshwater fishing opportunities?

Hi Guys,

I've be searching the internet for four hours tonight, your posts are the only reference I can find to a decent freshwater fishing scene in Bali, on the whole internet.

Is this because the fishing is terrible? Or just great "Undiscovered Secret" like the freshwater scene in Far North Queenslands Rainforest Rivers, Australia (just across the ocean from Bali).

In this thread there is just one tantalising reference to there being "monsters" in the Bali Rivers??

And that the fish (whatever they are) are EASIER to catch inland, by Fishwhisperer??

Plecostomus (sp?) and Kurper?? how big do they get? what are they?

I've had a look at the Emaangling site for Bali, or whatever it's called, but in those volcanic lakes they reckon the biggest fish are only 1Kg. Not very exciting.

I am thinking about going to live in Bali for the winter, and wondered if any of you guys know of any river fishing there, or bigger fish in the lakes?

I can fly, spin, and if necessary even bait fish to get onto the fish. Ideally I'd love to find some Jungle Perch, Black Bass, or similar to cast dry flys or nymphs to, as I usually fly-fish for trout here in New Zealand.

Thank you

Nick

I can email my bussiness contacts in East Java, and try and find out from them what the fresh water fishing is like.
    But I doubt if it is as good as Papa New Guineua, Sumatara etc.

Bali is a small island, with lots of people living on it for a very long time.
    They probaly caught all the big fish, as for the volcanic lakes, I dont think that the fish had time to evolve into big fish, except for those placed there by humans.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12