Wiets Banned User

Default Tuna in Cape Town

Can anybody shed light on where to find Tuna in Cape Town? I heard that
    there is Tuna territory 30 - 50 Km offshore from Cape Town. What are the
    coordinates, when is the best time, what type of gear is required - any
    information will be appreciated. My yacht is nearing completion (about in 2
    months from now) and I would like to organise a Tuna fly fishing trip out
    there. This will be a men only trip!

If you have serious experience with Tuna, you might be invited along.

Don't tempt me Wiets

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Don't tempt me Wiets
    It's a pity you are in the land of OZ.
    You ought to be on the boat when we do this!!

That would be great, I'm really interested to learn more about the tuna off CT.

At the beginning of July there were big tuna from 50 - 80kg about 40km off Sydney. Some dudes caught them on conventional gear, others have caught them on fly, but not this year.

Keep me posted, keen to learn more.

Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Can anybody shed light on where to find Tuna in Cape Town? I heard that
    there is Tuna territory 30 - 50 Km offshore from Cape Town. What are the
    coordinates, when is the best time, what type of gear is required - any
    information will be appreciated. My yacht is nearing completion (about in 2
    months from now) and I would like to organise a Tuna fly fishing trip out
    there. This will be a men only trip!

If you have serious experience with Tuna, you might be invited along.
    Hi Wiets

I'll try and get the coordinates from by boss next week. They go often. I've been out there once before. Took us about 3 hours to get there. All i can say is you need to maybe go with a charter first. Its hectic out there !!!

Cheers

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Wiets I'll try and get the coordinates from by boss next week. They go often. I've been out there once before. Took us about 3 hours to get there. All i can say is you need to maybe go with a charter first. Its hectic out there !!! Cheers
    Hi Pierre

Thanks for this.
    Hectic in what sense - hectic fishing action, rough seas, lots of other boats??

You fish around the commercial boats. What we do is ride up to one of these guys. And start to chum as you drift of, that way you create a chum line and draw the tuna away. Well they dont really like that and might call you names In a very creative style and language All depends on the conditions, but it can be hectic from the moment you leave hout bay harbour. We had some rough seas thats why it took us 3 hours to get there. I think you need to be experianced before heading out there. Things like reading the conditions right is absoloutly necesary. Remember its a long way back to land. A change in wind can stuff you up. I know they once had a nice day out there only to find the wind changing to NW , it took them 5 hours to get back to the harbour. Not nice, things like that, you need to know when its time to head back, even if it means turning around half way. Thats why i say join a charter first and see for yourself before heading out there. Fishing is hectic too. Seeing those tuna take the chum like torpedo's out of the deep is incredible. Hooking into one is a different story.

Wiets Banned User

You fish around the commercial boats. What we do is ride up to one of these guys. And start to chum as you drift of, that way you create a chum line and draw the tuna away. Well they dont really like that and might call you names In a very creative style and language All depends on the conditions, but it can be hectic from the moment you leave hout bay harbour. We had some rough seas thats why it took us 3 hours to get there. I think you need to be experianced before heading out there. Things like reading the conditions right is absoloutly necesary. Remember its a long way back to land. A change in wind can stuff you up. I know they once had a nice day out there only to find the wind changing to NW , it took them 5 hours to get back to the harbour. Not nice, things like that, you need to know when its time to head back, even if it means turning around half way. Thats why i say join a charter first and see for yourself before heading out there. Fishing is hectic too. Seeing those tuna take the chum like torpedo's out of the deep is incredible. Hooking into one is a different story.
    Thanks Pierre

Sailing wise, I have a couple of very experienced friends. Indeed they can be called experts, besides years of sailing experience, most of them have competed in International sailing events such as Cape to Rio, America's Cup, etc. I have done no planning as yet and I am at the very start of setting this up - gathering information. I am also not thinking of a day trip out there. Revelations is a proper cross ocean yacht, safety equipment and satellite communication systems and with luxury luxury accomodation - I'm thinking of spending 2 or 3 days there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Thanks Pierre

Sailing wise, I have a couple of very experienced friends. Indeed they can be called experts, besides years of sailing experience, most of them have competed in International sailing events such as Cape to Rio, America's Cup, etc. I have done no planning as yet and I am at the very start of setting this up - gathering information. I am also not thinking of a day trip out there. Revelations is a proper cross ocean yacht, safety equipment and sattelite communication systems and with luxury luxury accomodation - I'm thinking of spending 2 or 3 days there.
    Hi Wiets

Well then you are in good hands. Sounds absolutely awesome and scary. Three days of tuna madness, sounds flippen awesome If you need a gillie just shout

Cheers

Wiets Banned User

Hi Wiets Well then you are in good hands. Sounds absolutely awesome and scary. Three days of tuna madness, sounds flippen awesome If you need a gillie just shout Cheers
    Gillie?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.