Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Padkos' and special treats

Default 'Padkos' and special treats

About an hour before the end of our hike yesterday, Grant suddenly remembered that he had a packet of wine gums in his bag. It was like receiving manna from heaven! I never thought that I would ever be so happy to see a wine gum ever! At that point we were both pretty exhausted, as we had just reached the summit for the second time, this time being on our way out, and our energy reserves were pretty low at this point. It just goes to show, we need to suffer a bit to appreciate those little things in life that we so often take for granted.

One of the joys of hiking to me is those little special treats that get dug out along the way and that we get to share with our buddies. Strangely enough, everybody elses treats always seem better than mine, but I think it is the surprise that always makes it so good, not actually knowing what to expect next. One should never overdo it though....you have to be kept wanting for a while to really appreciate it. I think this could be applied to everyday life and there could be a valuable lesson to be learnt from this simple fact.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

where were you hiking???

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    where were you hiking???
    Hi Mike

We did the Du Toitskloof traverse to the 2nd tributary of the Witte. See the 'restocking the Witte' thread for the full report back
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Peanut butter, brewer's malt and a handful of muesli mixed into a paste and bunged into a wide mouth plastic jar. Eat with a spoon or on knackebrot. Serious energy mud to keep you going all day.

You can also use honey or syrup instead of brewer's malt but I like the stuff and can nick it from the 200 litre drums where it won't be missed....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Mike

We did the Du Toitskloof traverse to the 2nd tributary of the Witte. See the 'restocking the Witte' thread for the full report back
    MMmm... that is an awesome walk...

Ja it's always lekker to have those little treats. Wine gums have a permanent place in my hiking pack. I actually remembered them a bit before we got to the top but thought i'd keep the surprise till we got there!

In the same vein, The Yoghurts you brought out when we reached the summit on the way in was a serious bonus too!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Ja it's always lekker to have those little treats. Wine gums have a permanent place in my hiking pack. I actually remembered them a bit before we got to the top but thought i'd keep the surprise till we got there!

In the same vein, The Yoghurts you brought out when we reached the summit on the way in was a serious bonus too!
    so who had the beer?
    that's always a welcome surprise on a hike
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    so who had the beer?
    that's always a welcome surprise on a hike
    It should be a surprise, and a nasty one at that, if you don't have any.

My wife's got wine gums, but I keep on telling her we've screw-off tops these days

chris, you going straight to hell
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    chris, you going straight to hell
    Promise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast