Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caution! High Flows expected on Vaal!

Exclamation Caution! High Flows expected on Vaal!

I've just spoken to a Kayaker friend of mine who informed me that DWAF will opening a few gates to releasing +- 100cumecs of water before/on (?) this Sunday. I'm really hoping this is a BS story, cos I was planning to go fishing on Sunday!

I haven't been able to get hold of my DWAF contact to confirm this but urge anyone heading to the Vaal on Sunday to check the DWAF site (www.dwaf.gov.za/Hyrology/rtmain.aspx) before doing so. 100cumecs is fecking dangerous to be caught wading in!!!

If anyone else can confirm the above please post accordingly.

Yesterday I had heard of a similar report. I remember a few months back there being a mention that the rafting comp was going to cause problems for the A section nationals which was suppose to be this weekend (got move, maybe this is why).

Was out on the Vaal yesterday (Saturday) at Schoemansdrift and the flows were fine, but maybe the water hadn't reached us yet. I see the flows have picked up but nothing in that region.

Yea, I was just down the road at Otters yesterday too and didn't notice any rise either? Lot's of paddlers too!

But I suppose rather safe than sorry. Just thought I'd share the info with others, cos I knew that Yellowfish Paradise was hosting a Father & Son event this weekend with at least 100 people there. Would be nasty to have a few kids being washed away......well maybe 1 or 2!

Guys, I fished? Silverstrome yesterday ( Sunday ) and believe me they did release 80 - 100 cumecs! I was wondering why the flows were so high in relation to the rain we've had when the answer came speeding by: a canoe race in full flight The fishing was bloody terrible as well
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

The Dwaf site, doesn’t reflect a massive release, but does show a jump at Goose Bay to 36 tons. Which is getting a little uncomfortable...?
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    The Dwaf site, doesn’t reflect a massive release, but does show a jump at Goose Bay to 36 tons. Which is getting a little uncomfortable...?
    I seriously doubt that they'd release 80 - 100 tons of water. They would have to issue flood warnings down stream? 36 - 40 is probably what you experienced yesterday Herman, and that is quite a high flow (a little unsafe in my opinion). I doubt that the canoe-ists would be able to handle much more than that.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I seriously doubt that they'd release 80 - 100 tons of water. They would have to issue flood warnings down stream? 36 - 40 is probably what you experienced yesterday Herman, and that is quite a high flow (a little unsafe in my opinion). I doubt that the canoe-ists would be able to handle much more than that.
    Thanks Darryl, It was wadable, but only just! I did not even try and get to the point of the island, instead of waist deep the water was almost chin deep so discretion took the better past of valour!

I suspect that the Goosebay Canyon station readings on the DWAF site aren’t correct as I know they did open the barrage to 80cms on Saturday morning for the raftiong race. Over this period Goosebay never went over 37cms while Schoemans drift further downstream is currently sitting at 65cms due to the opening of the barrage.

I have done a study on the time laps between the three point, but I cant remember the finding, nor can I find my research...

i will dig it up, but the time lapse was way longer than expected... so you may well be correct...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Guys, Does anyone know if DWAF/Rand Water issues any warnings/press releases on their sites a few days prior to the opening of the Barrage for such purposes such as canoe/raft races?
    Surely these events are not organised on the spur of the moment and there should be ample time for other users of the vaal below the barrage to be warned of impending increased flow rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast