Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Moggel on fly

Just to spice this up a bit - I couldnt find the pics I had posted a while ago of our moggel "field" day so here are some external links. Between the three of us we must have taken between 10 and 15 in total. I agree with you Nymph0 in that they do not feed right off the bottom - most of my takes were in the upper section of the water column.

Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Scythe, that reel... is it a Shimano??
    Yup, indeed. That's the 78 Ultegra. I have two of those with 3 spools and similar on the 56 Ultegra. AFAIK they don't make them anymore, they've been replaced by the Biocraft series, which are awesome LA reels in their own right. I'm just not going to buy a new reel if my 'old' ones are still in top nick.

I really want one of those Biocraft babies though ...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Just to spice this up a bit
    Nice snaps dude, yeah now I can indeed confirm they were most definately moggel, that colouration of the tail and dorsal fin was very very pronounced and unfuriating everytime they rose next to my fly ignoring it wholeheartedly.

Next venture out I will be taking along a few unweighted hotspots ... just to test your theory ... ofcourse ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Yup, indeed. That's the 78 Ultegra. I have two of those with 3 spools and similar on the 56 Ultegra. AFAIK they don't make them anymore, they've been replaced by the Biocraft series, which are awesome LA reels in their own right. I'm just not going to buy a new reel if my 'old' ones are still in top nick.

I really want one of those Biocraft babies though ...
    Thought I recognised them! Ive got a few as well 34 and 56. I still love them! Will go have a peak at the new range though!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Nice ... I would have loved some of the 34's but I've never had reason to own a rod that light, but they are magnificent.

The 78 is a little heavy to CZN with for an entire day, but then again, why would you want to be CZN on a 7/8WT setup anyways ? It balances my 7WT TFO TiCr-X very nicely and a day casting it is just a pleasure. The drag system is also amazing for a relatively cheap reel compared to the other brands you'd be looking at buying to match the performance and smoothness.

I havn't heard anything bad about the Biocrafts, very light, very nice, same quality machining and awesome drag. The only downside to fishing such a beauty of a reel is that when you're fishing the Vaal every weekend (like me) eventually you will tumble and damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I recall in I think an old 1970's advanced fishing book for it's time by Mike Salomon's - can't remember spelling of his surname - a pic of a young SG holding a moggel caught on a fly spoon below the Barrage. From what I recall it was fairly hooked in the choppers. Wolf, what was the background to that one!?
    I remember that as well. Was it not Charles Normans book on fresh and salt water flyfishing - same sought of layout as Salomons': Black hard cover, all the photos had round corners, colour pics every 20 pages or so?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Rory, that's about right! Will try check the book out tonight. Glad someone of our ilk is capable of remembering!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4