Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Belfast - Town Dams

Advice given to the gentleman by pm, included a claymore detonator dressed with Dodo hackle...
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    Advice given to the gentleman by pm, included a claymore detonator dressed with Dodo hackle...

AAAAAAH good old Claymores .... nostalgic stuff *sniff sniff*
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Dont overlook the Machadorp fly either. It has proven itself to be a deadly fly fished just prior to the dreaded Caenis hatches in the Dullstroom area
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Dont overlook the Machadorp fly either. It has proven itself to be a deadly fly fished just prior to the dreaded Caenis hatches in the Dullstroom area
    dammit Chris .. you are taking me back!! ... I must tie some more of these .. Machadodorp .. Coch-y-Bondhu ... Zulu ... Black Spider .... they all have worked for me ... and I am sure still will!!!
    .. not to mention the streamers which now seem out of fashion .... Black Widow ... Matuka .... Peter (I Think) Ross ....Criag's Night Time (using New Zealand Pukeko feathers!!) .... all of course had genuine Jungle Cock cheeks ... were little works of art!!

I shall now go browse my Veniards "Further Guide to Fly Tying" ... and "Resevoir & Lake FLies" .. GREAT references which I am ashamed to say I have neglected of late!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    dammit Chris .. you are taking me back!! ... I must tie some more of these .. Machadodorp .. Coch-y-Bondhu ... Zulu ... Black Spider .... they all have worked for me ... and I am sure still will!!!
    .. not to mention the streamers which now seem out of fashion .... Black Widow ... Matuka .... Peter (I Think) Ross ....Criag's Night Time (using New Zealand Pukeko feathers!!) .... all of course had genuine Jungle Cock cheeks ... were little works of art!!

I shall now go browse my Veniards "Further Guide to Fly Tying" ... and "Resevoir & Lake FLies" .. GREAT references which I am ashamed to say I have neglected of late!
    Yeah, Peter Ross. Dammit, you two are going to have me in tears in a minute!

Some more British wets (flies...) that seemed to work locally and whose names roll off the tongue and my wilting memory-bank - Thunder and Lightning/Jock Scott (both in sparser trout version, not fully-dressed salmon), Connemara Black, Mallard and Claret, Teal series, March Brown, Bloody Butcher. Invicta/Alexandra CS and I discussed ruminated over some time back! It's strange, the Peter Ross, although having a good reputation especially for sea trout, I never had any real success with (mind you I havn't enjoyed much success with any flies!).

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Some more British wets (flies...) that seemed to work locally and whose names roll off the tongue and my wilting memory-bank - Thunder and Lightning/Jock Scott (both in sparser trout version, not fully-dressed salmon), Connemara Black, Mallard and Claret, Teal series, March Brown, Bloody Butcher. Invicta/Alexandra CS and I discussed ruminated over some time back! It's strange, the Peter Ross, although having a good reputation especially for sea trout, I never had any real success with (mind you I havn't enjoyed much success with any flies!).
    I must say, it really is lovely to see all the 'greats' mentioned again. There is something about those names that bring back the fondest childhood memories. Damn, may we never forget!

Your mention of the Jock Scott sure struck a deep chord Chris. It is one of those great names that gets basically passed down from generation to generation, and the fact that I have never fished it myself doesnt matter in the least, I sure have heard my dad and many of the other old fly fishermen from my youth mention the fly often enough, and you know what....that's good enough for me! Without tradition, I think I would find fly fishing pretty boring actually. Between us older guys, i think we have a moral obligation to keep it alive!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Default Feedback

Hi,

So the weather was really dreary and flippen cold but we still had a good time.I Caucht one fish on Saturday in the Dam as you go out towards Dullstroom on a Olive strip Leech. And two of my friends that have never before caught trout also both caught one at the dam, both of them on red eyed damsels. 3 fish for the day probably not great but we still had a lot of fun.
    On Sunday Morning I caught another one at the School dam on a Mpumalanga Speedcop.

So all and all a great weekend.

But I think I must get myself a float tube.

Thanks for all the advice.

Default Traditional Fly

Ok all you Traditionalists, it is a bit late now, but there will be more of these events, we sponsored The Traditional Fly event this past weekend in Dullstroom, and there all the flies you guys are naming was used, that was the only flies allowed(but only traditional English patterns, none of the older New Zealand ones). A very nice event run by a gentleman with big amount of knowledge about these flies, and a writer of note Mr Melcolm Meintjies(sp?). Now I know that he is planning more of these events in the not so far future, if you are interested, PM me your e-mail address and I will make sure that you get onto his mailing list for news on future such events.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2