Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tube Flies for salt water?

Gogga Banned User

Default Tube Flies for salt water?

Have any of you guy's thought about tying tube flies - There are a couple of obvious reasons that we do this, but I think for salt this the way forward.

Wake through the water.

longer lifespan, I throw away tons of good flies as the hook point is knackered but the fly itself is perfect.

Depth control, mix and match hooks at different sizes and thickness's.

Length of fly, you are limited by the length of the hook shank,not so with a tube

I got myself the renzetti Mod T1003s Pedestal vice - with all the adaptors for small medium and large tubes.(see http://www.renzetti.com/home.php?cat=258) Got some HMH tubes (see http://www.hmhvises.com/premiumtubes.html )

here are a few samples.

All the best
    Mike

Hi Mike

Like the way your thinking forward...met a gentleman the other night while fishing for Maasbanker at Blakes(Western Cape, S.A) who had a couple tube flies tied up and said it worked for him, just haven't had the time to look into it, but I guess now is a good time as any!

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bokoms View Post
    Hi Mike

Like the way your thinking forward...met a gentleman the other night while fishing for Maasbanker at Blakes(Western Cape, S.A) who had a couple tube flies tied up and said it worked for him, just haven't had the time to look into it, but I guess now is a good time as any!

I'm of to Australia tomorrow, so I will put my theories to test in similar water to what you guys have in SA.

Watch this space for catch reports (or non, he he)

All the best
    Mike

Hi Mike
    Enjoy your fishing, looking forward to hear how it went "down under"
    Regards
    Juan

Gogga Banned User

Quick Up date Juan,

Those tube flies are the dogs Bollocks, They have nailed everything from Taylor (shad) Gt's, Yellow tail to Barramundi.

Ive lost about two dozen hooks on the nasty toothy things but all my tubes have survived (battered to hell but survived)

You have got to give them a go - Ill post you out a couple when I get home - just pm me your address.

All the best
    Mike

Hi Mike
    Glad to hear and that would be awesome!
    My postal adress is as follow:
    Juan du Plessis
    P.O. Box 788
    Strand
    Shout if you need anything else, in the mean time.. enjoy your fishing!

Regards

Juan

Gogga Banned User

Hey Juan,

I'm sitting at Auckland airport, going home this evening so will be back in Vancouver late tomorrow evening - give me a few days to recover and I will tie up a few tubes for you try, and post them off next week.

You guys don't have any hassles with polar bear fur do you? reason I'm asking is it is banned in the States and will be confiscated if found. If not then I will do them in PB, if you think they will be a problem then let me know and I will use either DNA or Buck tail.

All the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gogga View Post

You guys don't have any hassles with polar bear fur do you?

Polar Baer Fur??? What a trip!!!

Mike, hope you have a safe flight mate!

Andre
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Might be because polar bears are ENDANGERED!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by armand View Post
    Might be because polar bears are ENDANGERED!!!!
    Actually, polar bears are not on the endangered species list although there is a group lobbying to have them added. In Greenland they issue licenses to hunt polar bears (strictly controlled), and they have reached pest status in certain areas of Canada, Mike may know more.

But the fur is fantastic for saltwater flies, almost translucent and better than any synthetic substitute.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.