Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: season for 2007/2008

Default season for 2007/2008

ladies and gents
    the saltwater season is dawning and hopefully were not gonna have the same crap that we had last season.... secret spots ect ect

who is targeting what this coming season? I have had enough time to build some lekker saltwater flies and I intend using them. stil would like to find a spot were kob can be targeted sucsesfully and obviosly the leeries is on the menu aswel.
    we must oranize more flytalk trips and those who are interested I have accomodation for a couple off guys in mosselbay.

when can we start expecting the tail and bonito in the bay? I believe the winter ofshore was crap so hopefully the summer season will be beter.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

At last a good thread Now you're talking. I'll be going after Leeries, Elf and try my hand at Grunter, oh yes and the sharks at Blakes

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    ladies and gents
    the saltwater season is dawning and hopefully were not gonna have the same crap that we had last season.... secret spots ect ect

who is targeting what this coming season? I have had enough time to build some lekker saltwater flies and I intend using them. stil would like to find a spot were kob can be targeted sucsesfully and obviosly the leeries is on the menu aswel.
    we must oranize more flytalk trips and those who are interested I have accomodation for a couple off guys in mosselbay.

when can we start expecting the tail and bonito in the bay? I believe the winter ofshore was crap so hopefully the summer season will be beter.
    I think some spots that are secret, should stay secret!
    Last season I shared one of my secret spots, and now I cannot find place on my favourite water anymore,
    on top of that, the venue owner has put his price up, and it is not relative to the other venues in the area!
    I used to have the same problem as you deewy, the secret spot syndrome!
    I have since changed my view,
    and now believe that it is essential to keep your secret spots secret, so as to protect species found in those areas.

Its not only yellow fish that are in danger now days, but many of the ocean fish too.
    These "secret spots" will preserve our resources, so I can take my 2 year old fishing there in 8 years time, a
    nd at least he will still be able to experience what I had the previledge of experiening.

My 2cents at least!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Buy a map (charts for the sea), study them and go exploring. Nothing like finding a quiet estuary or unknown reef and coming tight!!!

Its even better knowing that it was your own intuition and graft that helped find it - even if its not a completely secrect spot. Its been like that with surf spots for years. There are a couple of fishing and surf spots that I very rarely share with anyone!!!

But don't go overboard either - where there is possiblity to share, share. A good balance is needed...

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Buy a map (charts for the sea), study them and go exploring. Nothing like finding a quiet estuary or unknown reef and coming tight!!!

Its even better knowing that it was your own intuition and graft that helped find it - even if its not a completely secrect spot. Its been like that with surf spots for years. There are a couple of fishing and surf spots that I very rarely share with anyone!!!

But don't go overboard either - where there is possiblity to share, share. A good balance is needed...
    Agreed 100%!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I have to agree with Dizzy re the secret spots. If it is a well known public or open to the public at a price spot, with the emphasis on WELL KNOWN then I have no problem mentioning where the "catch" was made.

If it is a "private" or little known public venue, then I even hesitate to submit a catch report. I just look at what happened to Strome last season after the early catch reports came in, I ended up spending nearly all my time at GeelvisParadys using my Croc2 to get to water where I hoped others would not follow. That didn't last very long either 'cos the next minute there was an Armada of float tubes as well
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I think some spots that are secret, should stay secret!
    Last season I shared one of my secret spots, and now I cannot find place on my favourite water anymore,
    on top of that, the venue owner has put his price up, and it is not relative to the other venues in the area!
    I used to have the same problem as you deewy, the secret spot syndrome!
    I have since changed my view,
    and now believe that it is essential to keep your secret spots secret, so as to protect species found in those areas.

Its not only yellow fish that are in danger now days, but many of the ocean fish too.
    These "secret spots" will preserve our resources, so I can take my 2 year old fishing there in 8 years time, and at least he will still be able to experience what I had the privilege of experiencing.

My 2cents at least!
    I echo your sentiments. Also I feel that those who put in the leg work and find these secret spots are the ones who deserve to reap the rewards ( in a strictly CAR type of way )

This season I WILL add leerie, shad, grunter, yellow tail and Tunny to my list. If I stumble upon a cobbie that's OK too...
    Im also hopefully going to spend a month or so living out of tents in Transkei so that should also produce some good species. But more about that in a later thread.

But first things first.. go to get my skippers ticket!
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 04-09-07 at 02:11 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Its been like that with surf spots for years. There are a couple of fishing and surf spots that I very rarely share with anyone!!!
    We should trade a few some day!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    I echo your sentiments. Also I feel that those who put in the leg work and find these secret spots are the ones whose deserve to reap the rewards ( in a strictly CAR type of way )

This season I WILL add leerie, shad, grunter, yellow tail and Tunny to my list. If I stumble upon a cobbie that's OK too...
    Im also hopefully going to spend a month or so living out of tents in Transkei so that should also produce some good species. But more about that in a later thread.

But first things first.. go to get my skippers ticket!
    Where you doing your ticket. Could you PM me the details?

As for spots, a trade is never a bad thing... There a couple of spots that double as fish or surf...

Where you doing your ticket. Could you PM me the details?

As for spots, a trade is never a bad thing... There a couple of spots that double as fish or surf...
    All I know is that you have to get a hold of SAMSA - 021 421 6170. Its over 2 weekend and then you write an exam. You will have to chat to them for more info as a friend of mine is going to book for us.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast