Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mega clouser

Question mega clouser

I see that all the offshore guys are talking bout mega clousers for big fish.
    I'm just curios,does anyone have the instructions to one off these flies. I read some were that you tie in a piece off heavy monofilment...
    hope someone can help me with this
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Deewy, I'm sure the tying procedure was in one of our local mags a while back. Unless someone else knows I'll check and post tomorrow.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Hi dewald,hope you are keeping well.i dont know if there is to much of a difference to the standard pattern as we know it.one thing they do use is monster eyes.to help get the fly down quickly.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I know about the big eyes but how do you keep all those materials from fowling on your hook?
    I read somewere that you tie in a thick piece off mono and build it up in stages...not to sure myself.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

The tying was described in the TCFF of about 18 months ago. It's meant to used when fishing off a drifting boat. It is essentially an Utra Hair Clouser tied with very heavy lead eyes and even more load wrapped around the hook shank. It is usually tied reasonably full and 6 inches or more long. It is not really a finesse fly and it's designed to sink like a rock (only faster). If you do not have a really heavy rod lined with a heavy sinking line/shooting head with which you can lob it out a couple of yards when fishing off a boat, it does not really have a place in your SW fly box.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

I want to experiment with them a bit. I'm sure that if you tie them big and a bit lighter you can fish them in the surf...big fly=big fish...

and what bout bottom fish like red roman geelbek ect. I'm sure you can taret them from a boat sucsesfully and they give a lekker pull on light tackle.

the heavy sinking line is on my shopping list. before christmas for the upcoming december holidays.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

I have heard that de-barbing the hooks works well on synthetics when they start to wrap.....

Stephen Smith

i have been tying some clousers with aluminium eyes.they are quite big and much lighter to cast.havnt fished them yet but think they are going to do the business.......got them from flywaters

Stephen Smith

on big flies like these clouser i think it would be wise to add a trailing hook.

Quote Originally Posted by draadkar View Post
    on big flies like these clouser i think it would be wise to add a trailing hook.
    not a bad call that....how would you connect them with wire or normal mono?

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast