Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stoneflies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Stoneflies

Hi all,
    Due to recent success with Stonefly nymphs on the upper Vaal river this under rated fly has found a new place in my fly box. I believe these insects find them selves in clean well oxygenated water - unlike the Vaal.
    Do any of you guys have some details on stonefly nymphs found in and around the upper Vaal river, below the Vaal dam. Any alternative pattern renditions would also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
    Last edited by Nymph+O-; 10-09-07 at 12:07 PM.
    No PAIN No Gain

How is this one for super real?
    No PAIN No Gain

We have all seen some of these Adult Stoneflies on the Vaal although they seem to be a more brown/black colour
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Hi all,
    Due to recent success with Stonefly nymphs on the upper Vaal river this under rated fly has found a new place in my fly box. I believe these insects finds them selves in clean well oxygenated water - unlike the Vaal.
    Do any of you guys have some details on stonefly nymphs found in and around the upper Vaal river, below the Vaal dam. Any alternative pattern renditions would also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
    Do stoneflies exist in SA rivers? Certainly none that I'm aware of the WC. Anyone?????
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Do stoneflies exist in SA rivers? Certainly none that I'm aware of the WC. Anyone?????
    Yep!
    http://www.ru.ac.za/academic/departm...lecoptera.html
    No PAIN No Gain

Any examples of stonefly nymph patterns? At this stage of the game, my yellowfish collection consists of czech nymphs to be used as control flies, copper johns, brassies, hot spots, san juan worms, atomic worms, vaal shrimps, GRHE's, flashback nymphs, T.V.N's, and uh, a couple others I cant remember the names... I cant really say what all of them are supposed to represent. My guess is that a copper john would represent a stonefly. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hughmeister View Post
    Any examples of stonefly nymph patterns? At this stage of the game, my yellowfish collection consists of czech nymphs to be used as control flies, copper johns, brassies, hot spots, san juan worms, atomic worms, vaal shrimps, GRHE's, flashback nymphs, T.V.N's, and uh, a couple others I cant remember the names... I cant really say what all of them are supposed to represent. My guess is that a copper john would represent a stonefly. Am I right?
    Yes, I agree - it is not wrong to say it represents a stonefly but I'd rather say it is also representing a multitude of nymphs - the shape, colour and proportions of a copper john is also not quite on par if one had to compare it to the natural. 3 aspects of a stonefly that is very distinct is the fat, well segmented abdomen, the v-shaped tail and antenna and a set of stocky legs - further I would add the double v-shaped wing on the back as an additional trigger.
    No PAIN No Gain

I have had the privilege of being in 2 stone fly hatches, one on the Karnemelk Spruit, and the other on the top of the Bok…

They are a stunning insect and have a distinct flight profile. Both times I didn’t know it was a hatch until I took the time to catch one of the insects for examination.

Mike
    Last edited by MaXiMuM; 28-12-08 at 05:50 AM.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Excuse my ignorance!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Excuse my ignorance!
    No need for that Liam, I was also under the impression that Stoneflies are non existent in Gauteng especially on the Vaal, well up and to the point where we started taking fish on them. I'm sure the fish take these as Stoneflies cause normal small MF nymphs would not produce fish yet the large bulky Stonefly nymphs did.
    No PAIN No Gain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast