Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Leader setup for czech and upstream nymphing

Tye and Dizzy

I will try to do a drawing for you guys and then take a picture. Maybe tonight.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks MC

We all really appreciate it.

Hi there guys

I now have a scanned drawing of the leader setup, but I can't seem to copy it onto the website.

I will see if I can make a better plan. If I can not get it right by Monday I will get your e-mail addresses and send it direct.

Cheers
    Enjoy the weekend.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Guys, just a question regarding the control fly. Has anyone caught a lot of fish on the control fly, with the dropper and point fly being basically "fishless" ?
    My reasoning is that I've found that using a big,heavy control fly results in more "rock fish" than when I use re-usable split shot placed inbetween the dropper and point flies ( basically where the control fly would be attached to the leader).
    The thing is this - if your control fly doesn't get stuck and if you don't loose a fly or two during a days fishing then you are not fishing the prime zone and you won't get as many fish. Yes, I frequently catch fish on the control fly but mostly on the point fly which is a very small 16-18 size fly for best results.
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there guys

I now have a scanned drawing of the leader setup, but I can't seem to copy it onto the website.

I will see if I can make a better plan. If I can not get it right by Monday I will get your e-mail addresses and send it direct.

Cheers
    Enjoy the weekend.

MC
    Thanks MC
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Please send to me as well and I will redraw in photoshop and post it on this thread.

dlahner@ct.stormnet.co.za

Default Czech nymph leader setup

MC will comment on this

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

MC will comment on this
    MC, doesn't competitive fly fishing require that the flies be 50 cm apart?
    If so, do you adjust the 1200mm section accordingly or do you leave it at 1200mm?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Hi there guys

There we go at last.

This is my basic traditional Czech nymphing rig. On the end of the flyline I attach a braided loop, but I make the actual braided section about fifteen centimetres long. I then take some hot orange and fluo pink thread and wrap three or four bands of this bright thread onto the braid. In between the bright bands I wrap some black thread. This thread then gets varnished with Sally Hanson's.

This piece of braid acts like an indicator and should never be fished sub-surface. I suppose that you can try one of those nymph tip lines, but personally I prefer this indicator system.

From there it is very simple. The 1.2 m section of 8lbs is simply knotted onto the braided loop and the rest of the connections are all loop-to-loop. The bottom two sections are 40cms long and not 40mm as stated in the sketch.

Keep the top and point droppers the same length at about ten centimetres and the control fly slightly shorter.

The droppers are looped around (as opposed to through) the double line created by the loop-to-loop connections in the leader.

When I do mono-nymphing, then my leader is exactly the same, but I simply add a few metres of ten pound bright yellow Double X Hi Abrasion line behind the leader.

If this is not clear, then please ask more questions.

Cheers
    MC

Dizzy

Competitive rules for SA says that the flies must be 40cms apart. Internationally they must be 50 cms apart.

I just noticed another mistake on the drawing. The point fly is also attached via a short ten centimetre loop-to-loop connection. This will take the point fly past the 40cm mark.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast