Hi Grant and MC, surprise, surprise.

Howzit Andre,

welcome!

Andre

Are you that fake Mandela salesman?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there guys

There we go at last.

This is my basic traditional Czech nymphing rig. On the end of the flyline I attach a braided loop, but I make the actual braided section about fifteen centimetres long. I then take some hot orange and fluo pink thread and wrap three or four bands of this bright thread onto the braid. In between the bright bands I wrap some black thread. This thread then gets varnished with Sally Hanson's.

This piece of braid acts like an indicator and should never be fished sub-surface. I suppose that you can try one of those nymph tip lines, but personally I prefer this indicator system.

From there it is very simple. The 1.2 m section of 8lbs is simply knotted onto the braided loop and the rest of the connections are all loop-to-loop. The bottom two sections are 40cms long and not 40mm as stated in the sketch.

Keep the top and point droppers the same length at about ten centimetres and the control fly slightly shorter.

The droppers are looped around (as opposed to through) the double line created by the loop-to-loop connections in the leader.

When I do mono-nymphing, then my leader is exactly the same, but I simply add a few metres of ten pound bright yellow Double X Hi Abrasion line behind the leader.

If this is not clear, then please ask more questions.

Cheers
    MC
    Hi MC...

Please tell me what Knot to use for all the loops in the loop to loop connections. I'm trying a basic surgeons loop (and double surgeons) but i'm not satisfied with the strength of it... I'm using Siglon 1x for the leader set-up and 3x for the droppers. Just keeps breaking when I test pull them.
    Otherwise, all makes sense and can't wait to try it out... Thanks for the drawings and explanations!

Cheers,

Clintfly
    "n' man is nie n' klip nie" He needs to fish too...

You got to be really careful when using fluoro, make sure you lube your line properly before you finish your knott.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Yes, cheap mono is a problem ... fluoro is better ... but all are subject to shitty knot tying and seating ... lubrication is also important, but check your seating first, make sure you take the time to tie the knots properly.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    You got to be really careful when using fluoro, make sure you lube your line properly before you finish your knott.
    Thanks Dizzy... I will "GOBB" the line excessively!!!
    I see MC is not logged in... Thanks for the response.
    Is the Knot however ok for the loop to loop application?
    I'm also not quite sure why the leader is made up of 3 sections - 1.2m + 40cm + 40cm. a) to always have equal spaces between drops? b) to shorten and lengthen the leader according to flow and depth? c) to attach droppers around the double line loop so that it doese'nt slide up and down past the knots on the leader? d) to change any one of the droppers / control fly at any time without having to worry about dropper length?
    Sorry if I seem a bit painful.
    Is the loop to loop configuration stronger than a single leader with droppers tied on (D/surgeon) at the correct intervals?
    I don't want to re-invent the wheel but what if you use a single length leader, say 12lb, tie in 2 surgeon knots about 1" apart, at 40cm intervals with a loop at both the ends for attaching to fly line and point fly. Can that work?
    You would still attach / change the droppers in the same fashion as above.

All comments welcome!!!

Cheers,

Clintfly
    (sorry Wade, can like to get technical)

Clintfly

I use the double surgeon's loop knot and I have not had any problems here. Maybe it is just something with the way that you seat the knot or uneven pull on the ends?

I fish this leader set-up during competitions and social fishing. The construction makes it possible to change the main leader very fast if you lose a section. I pre-tie a couple of looped 40cm lengths that I carry with me and I also pre-rig up to 40 flies with the short dropper lengths before I go fishing.

I never really shorten the overall length of the leader. I find that the structure and/or depth on the Vaal varies so much over relatively short distances that continuous changing would become counter productive.

Hope this helps.

MC

Thanks MC... I'm getting the picture now... Makes perfect sense...
    Going to try it out on the weekend.

Cheers,

Clintfly

Quote Originally Posted by Clintfly View Post
    I'm also not quite sure why the leader is made up of 3 sections
    Basically to taper the leader which essentially allows you turn your flies over better.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast