Thread: Tiger Fishing Luvuvhu river in Makuya Park

Default Tiger Fishing Luvuvhu river in Makuya Park

Hey guys,

Has anyone fished the Luvuvhu river in the Makuya game reserve? I fished it in June this year with 9 other guys, who all used spinning tackle, me being the odd one out with my fly tackle. The guys with the spinning gear nailed the tigers, and me only landing 3 small ones. (biggest one that was landed on the trip was about 3-4 pounds by one of the other guys)
    The Makuya park borders the Kruger park, and is in the northern part of the Limpopo province, close to Pafuri River camp. ( http://www.pafuri.co.za/ ) They have pics of some very nice tigers caught at their camp on the website...

I will be fishing the Luvuvhu with my father in 9 days time and no spin fisherman this time, only me and him with fly rods. I got a bit frustrated last time as whenever we reached a fishable pool(driving along the river in 4x4) all the other guys gear was ready and they raced to get lines in, and by the time I got my rod setup (2 minutes later) they already caught most of the fish in the pool, and a Tiger with a sore mouth is not interested in a fly. I also saw some nice yellows in the river which I will also target this time.

This trip also includes 3 days in the Badplaas area and 3 days in Komati Poort, Chris Williams gave me much needed info on these 2 destinations, thanks again Chris.
    I will be throwing everything I have at those Tigers, in blistering heat, while looking out for crocs, hippos and lions!!!! I just hope there is enough water in the river, or else it will be 3 days of game drives, but will not mind that as like most of us fishermen, doing anything outdoors is a great pleasure.
    Any info on Makuya and general tips will be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys
    Shawn
    Last edited by srt007; 15-09-07 at 03:55 PM.