Thread: Fishing in Zansibar

Default Fishing in Zansibar

Good Evening All

I am new to this forum. I am based in George and have fished most of the estuaries in the southern cape for just about anything that will eat some sort of lure.

At present i am trying to put a trip together to Zansibar to target GT's in particular. I have made a trip there before to a village on the North East called Nugwi. I found the fishing to be poor as the locals had nets that prevented just about everything from entering the shallows. i was hoping that someone may have advice as to parts of the island where one could look for these fish. I have been on Google earth and the South East corner looks the least touched by man with the closest proximity to deeper water.

Does anyone have suggestions for this part of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by anton View Post
    Good Evening All

I am new to this forum. I am based in George and have fished most of the estuaries in the southern cape for just about anything that will eat some sort of lure.

At present i am trying to put a trip together to Zansibar to target GT's in particular. I have made a trip there before to a village on the North East called Nugwi. I found the fishing to be poor as the locals had nets that prevented just about everything from entering the shallows. i was hoping that someone may have advice as to parts of the island where one could look for these fish. I have been on Google earth and the South East corner looks the least touched by man with the closest proximity to deeper water.

Does anyone have suggestions for this part of the world?
    welcome anton,

you are in the right place at the wrong time,the guys in the know are not online at the moment,but i am sure they willl be along soon,if you need info quickly go to the search section and put in the word Zanzibar and all previous threds on this topic will appear.

hope that helps and once again welcome
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Good Morning Nicolas

Thank you very much for the pointer. I have had a look at two of the islands that have been mentioned previously by one of the members, Mafia and Latham Islands. I would like to ravel this area for a month to really have the opportunity of fishing it. Latham Island seems to be the winner as it is not populated and will therefore be undisturbed by man. I found this to be a big problem on Zanzibar especially arounfd the Nungwi village where we stayed. There were plenty of fish but all beyond the reef as the reefs were no longer what they should be and were generally guarded by vast nets.

This is what makes Latham Island so attractive. With little human influence my guess is that the reefs will still be prestine with any number of fish species to target.

Thanks
    Anton

Default Zanzibar

Hi Anton.

I am also planning a trip up to Zanzibar next year sometime. I have heard a lot about Pemba Island and have heard from others on the forum that there is good fishing in that area.