Thread: De Mond's Current Status

Default De Mond's Current Status

I was in Struisbaai the past weekend to De Mond after reprots that the mouth was closed. Well it is still closed and the whole area is flooded, I was told by park staff that they will be trying to open the mouth later the month.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    I was in Struisbaai the past weekend to De Mond after reprots that the mouth was closed. Well it is still closed and the whole area is flooded, I was told by park staff that they will be trying to open the mouth later the month.
    Good grief! How long has the mouth been closed John? I would have thought that it would have got a good flushing out during the Winter, if anything.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I speak under correction but I think its July 07. I spoke to the park manager who also mentioned that other estuaries are also closed. I think GrootBrak is also closed.

Default De Mond

The pictures give a great perspective of the volume of water. When that volume of water eventually does break through [assisted or not assisted] it will certainly flush the system. When I spoke to them last week, the manager indicated that they would using the Struisbaai harbour dredging equipment and bulldozers. I wonder what type of damage will be done to the prawn banks etc. Interesting how long the system will take to re-establish itself so that one can go and fish.

One would think that since it is an official nature conservation reserve that the mouth would be constantly monitored by conservation officials and steps taken in time to prevent such closures.........or is that interfering with nature?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    One would think that since it is an official nature conservation reserve that the mouth would be constantly monitored by conservation officials and steps taken in time to prevent such closures.........or is that interfering with nature?
    Chris, Lake St. Lucia's mouth was closed for four years! It's not only an official nature reserve but also a World Heritage Site ( the wetlands that is ).
    The conservation officers said let nature take it's course.
    Now that the mouth is open and millions of cubes of salt water have entered the system everyone is *****ing about the increased salinity and the damage to the wetlands.
    Not even nature can keep man happy
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

You do have a point Herman, but my point is that if they do actually have intentions of bulldozing De Mond open, why not nip it in the bud before it actually closes. They must have seen it coming surely?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 26-09-07 at 06:36 PM.