Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Alert !

It has and I've been in support of such an action for a long time, even to the point that I was going to have a few signboards made up for Vaal Hackle (another major spawning area) at my own cost.

The problem once again is getting the landowners involved, their usual stance is "The fish have always been there and will always be there so why should we bother spending money on signs/notices or to police it"

What's that well known quote regarding apathy and ignorance ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Scythe

I will be going to Vaal-Hackle at the end of Ocktober for the first time. Can you please give me a idea if the spawning will still take place as I don't want to disturb the spawning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    It has and I've been in support of such an action for a long time, even to the point that I was going to have a few signboards made up for Vaal Hackle (another major spawning area) at my own cost.

The problem once again is getting the landowners involved, their usual stance is "The fish have always been there and will always be there so why should we bother spending money on signs/notices or to police it"

What's that well known quote regarding apathy and ignorance ?
    Good to know, maybe I can try my little bit and raise - or re-raise the issue - at the next Fosaf Northvaal YWG in a coupla weeks? If Scythe and any others can add their valued input if you think it's worth another try, I'll certainly be happy to give it a bash? Lemme know, but I don't want to work at cross-purposes to what you've already done or try to reinvent the wheel.

FYI Fosaf gave me lots of posters regarding care for fish and water which I've distributed at several schools and communities - maybe we could have a simple leaflet as an adjunct to this especially for schools where recreational fishers 'breed'?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Good to know, maybe I can try my little bit and raise - or re-raise the issue - at the next Fosaf Northvaal YWG in a coupla weeks? If Scythe and any others can add their valued input if you think it's worth another try, I'll certainly be happy to give it a bash? Lemme know, but I don't want to work at cross-purposes to what you've already done or try to reinvent the wheel.

FYI Fosaf gave me lots of posters regarding care for fish and water which I've distributed at several schools and communities - maybe we could have a simple leaflet as an adjunct to this especially for schools where recreational fishers 'breed'?
    Chris
    I reckon you raise the issue, it's not something that is going to go away in a hurry. I think the leaflet idea is a good one. If venue owners could hand out a single page leaflet with some educational guidelines to everyone who visited thier stretch of river it could only be a good thing.

Signs at every venue would be the ultimate but obviously there is a large cost involved and people are keen to ignore these notices. If you have been given a flyer you really are engaging the fisherman on a more direct level. I'm happy to do my bit.

I've got mixed emotions about this topic because like someone said previously,if your uneducated about spawning habits,you won't look out for it on the waters hence couldn't be bothered.

I'm all for conservation but I think the whole picture isn't been told.There's this whole discussion about the fish and how to protect it.

What about all the poor little animals that are being slaughtered and shot for their skins,feathers and what not for fly tying?

None of these forum members can guarantee me 100% that they know exactly where their materials come from.I mean I don't know if my deer hair comes from a shot animal just for the purpose of making a quick buck.And if I know its true,will I still buy the stuff and loose out on all the wonderful qualities of deer hair?Very tuff one to answer.

You won't be able to tell me that your indian cape of hackle was obtained in an orderly fasion.The stuff gets imported so u wouldn't know.

The point I'm making is to be consistant.Follow all protocols about nature conservation before we start singling out eg.yellowfish.

I know of people that r going on and on about spawning and fishing barbless but come this afternoon they are out shooting birds for feathers.

Be consistant in your values.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-12-07 at 09:14 PM.

Maybe they, the powers at be, if they are also serious about the yellows, like i'm sure most true fly fishers feel about this sport, why don't they set an OPEN AND CLOSED SEASON for yellows...open after spawning ! and if any clown is cought catching yellows during the closed season, a stiff spot fine should be issued, payable only to the yellow fish protection group, AND the land owner who takes in all the cash from the clown involved should also be fined ! THERE IS NO CONTROL IS THERE ?

A one page flyer given to anglers at the venue on arrival by the land owner is a great idea, hopefully some of the guys might even read it and at very least feel guilty if they do not adhere to the pointers set out in such flyer.

Can definitely help, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnot View Post
    Maybe they, the powers at be, if they are also serious about the yellows, like i'm sure most true fly fishers feel about this sport, why don't they set an OPEN AND CLOSED SEASON for yellows...open after spawning ! and if any clown is cought catching yellows during the closed season, a stiff spot fine should be issued, payable only to the yellow fish protection group, AND the land owner who takes in all the cash from the clown involved should also be fined ! THERE IS NO CONTROL IS THERE ?
    Two problems comes out of this:

1. Manpower, they do not even check fishing permits anymore
    2. When do you close season, yellows spawns about three times a year, and not really at set times. Do you then close mid Sept to Mid Oct, December and then February? Hoping that you guessed right?

Not exactly feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    I've got mixed emotions about this topic because like someone said previously,if your uneducated about spawning habits,you won't look out for it on the waters hence couldn't be bothered.

I'm all for conservation but I think the whole picture isn't been told.There's this whole discussion about the fish and how to protect it.

What about all the poor little animals that are being slaughtered and shot for their skins,feathers and what not for fly tying?

None of these forum members can guarantee me 100% that they know exactly where their materials come from.I mean I don't know if my deer hair comes from a shot animal just for the purpose of making a quick buck.And if I know its true,will I still buy the stuff and loose out on all the wonderful qualities of deer hair?Very tuff one to answer.

You won't be able to tell me that your indian cape of hackle was obtained in an orderly fasion.The stuff gets imported so u wouldn't know.

The point I'm making is to be consistant.Follow all protocols about nature conservation before we start singling out eg.yellowfish.

I know of people that going on and on about spawning and fishing barbless but come this afternoon they are out shooting birds for feathers.

Be consistant in your values.
    We have to start somewhere, and policing what can gain access to is a good place to start not so?

You're right, we cannot see what happens to the animals that get used in the production of our tying materials, but it is upto the country they are produced in, to police that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnot View Post
    As Pieter said, with a closed season, I doubt we'd have any season at all!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I see what you say, the strange thing is that when we go down to KZN, we know they have a good licence system in place and being the way we are, we go to the post office there and get a licence for what ever period needed, and you have all the info about species, sizes and limits, they could have the same thing up here for fresh water and we should be able to get the KZN licence at OUR POST OFFICE before we even go to the coast. the only answer i've been given up here is,... they don't have licence books any more. i suppose this comes back to the manpower situation.I wish i had ranger status

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast