Thread: Which flies for Natal coast?

Default Which flies for Natal coast?

I'm currently living in the U.K. and I'm going home for a holiday in December. I took up fly fishing over here and last time I was back I caught Shad on my 7 weight trout outfit. The shad gave me a hiding on such light gear and my U.K. line got sticky and coiled in warm salt water so this time im doing it right.9wt rod, warm water intermediate but Im stumped when it comes to flies. Which flies will work off the beach and rocks ? I'm going to try tying a few mullet and glassy imitations for the Illovo River but Ive got nothing exept photos of the real thing to base them on. Are there any tried and tested patterns?

Longtom

Where abouts you gonna be on the KZN Coast?
    Genral patterns like Clousers,Decievers and surf Candies will work for you as well as maybe some flashy profile style flies and Crazy Charlies in the surf zone.
    If you are fishing estuaries, tie yourself a few Cockroaches as well as they seem to be dynamite in most KZN Estuaries.

Andre
    I'll chat to some guys up there and let you know on any more patterns that might be producing around that time.
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

chech out Sudesh's site at www.bamba.co.za, he will you some good advice.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Thanks for the advise.

I'm going to be between Amanzimtoti and Karradine. I will definately try the Illovo river because I grew up there. The last time I was home Pick handle barracuda where chasing mullet on the high tide, sand gernard are always game for a fly and rumour has it Queen fish were being taken on glassy imitations. I know Illovo Beach is good for wave garrick. I also fancy a go at castle rock just South of Winklespruit rocks because there's deep water in casting distance.

Andre

Whats a cockroach?

Default Cockeroach

Longtom
    Very appropriate name for Natal. Thought these pictures may help.

Attachment 10

Attachment 11

Mikeh

Thanks will definately put a few in my box.

Longtom

The Grizzly Hackle versions of the Cockroach in Natural or Chartreuse seem to be the most effective.
    Be sure to have some in fairly small sizes as well, as in these estuaris when its really calm, sometimes a small fly is the way to go. You may even be lucky enough to pick up a Rock Salmon......
    I'd also tie some with eyes, and some without, some weighted and some not, just for variation and fishing different depths.
    Some other flies for the estuaries I'd suggest are Flippers/Gurglers for the surface in case there are any garrick or queeniews or small kingies around.

I know there is good fishing for Kingies off the bricks up around that area. Mainly very early morning ( Long before sunrise ) and after dark in the evening as well. Just check the tides. For them you are gonna want a big bulky fly that pushes alot of water as you are fishing in a rough surf zone, and you want those fish to be able to "feel" your fly. Whistlers, Siliclones, Sempers and the likes.
    For the Wave Garrick/3 Spot Pompano, you can't go wrong with a heavily weighted Crazy Charlie or Dogs Breakfast. I've had good success when fishing for 3 Spots using Crazy Charlie's with rubber legs added.

Def check out Sudesh's site, if its in the Salt in KZN, he's your man!!

Andre
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Andre

Appreciate the info.

Thanks.