Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Half Chicken

Default Half Chicken

Hi Guys, Can anyone help me with the recipe for a half chicken barbel fly? Having an outing next weekend for barbel and would like to tie up a couple. Thanks in advance....

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Fanatic View Post
    Hi Guys, Can anyone help me with the recipe for a half chicken barbel fly? Having an outing next weekend for barbel and would like to tie up a couple. Thanks in advance....
    I see you are in Benoni. Go and see Terry Babich at the Fishing Owl in Boksburg. He is the barbel "king".
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Herman - will try him and see what I can learn.

Basically it is a big bottle brush with a tail. Use long stiff hackles in the body and Cock feathers/Marabou/what ever else you got as a tail. Its really not a pretty fly but it pushes a ton of water.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

I agree with Herman.

To get there go down Mani Reef/ North Rand road (the main road going to east rand mall with all the car dealers).

When you get to Trichardt road (with the fire station on your far left and flora farm on the far right. I think CTM is also on the near left) turn right.

The first road after the flora farm on you r left is the one you want to turn into and they are the first property on the right.

Hope you have great fun
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Thanks guys.... Have used them before - very effective fly - but would like to tie them myself as they are not cheap and these fish have no respect for a man's budget - I have been through 5 or 6 flies a day being snapped off - 12lb tippet - gets expensive after a while....

Check on the Fishing Owl site, Terry has a few of his flies up there somewhere!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Thanks guys.... Have used them before - very effective fly - but would like to tie them myself as they are not cheap and these fish have no respect for a man's budget - I have been through 5 or 6 flies a day being snapped off - 12lb tippet - gets expensive after a while....
    Check your knots or bump up your tippet.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Have tried heavier tippet - this reduces my catch rate - maybe should change tippet more often?

Have tried heavier tippet - this reduces my catch rate - maybe should change tippet more often?
    Do you loose flies from snags, fish or fish snagging you up??

What tippet do you use??
    Floating or sinking line??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast