Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon Fishing

Default Full Moon Fishing

We will be going to treeferns at the end of October. As it happens, the time we will be there it will also be full moon. I have heard many stories about fishing when its full moon. Some say its good and others again say its bad. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Should we fish at night?, use small or big Flies ect. Any information would be appreciated

Not too sure what the effects of the full moon during the day will be, but fishing at night is always fun and the full moon should help a bit. Use bigger black flies that will give a better silhouette, flippers and these... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...the+dark+beads
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Yes, lets debate this subject and let us hear from other members' experiences. Myself and Bloubul fished another venue over September's full moon period and caught bugger'all. That got us seriously thinking about the effect of the moon on fish feeding habits. The fish were in the dying stages of the spawning season and should have taken to our flies. Dean Riphagen says that he never goes fishing over full moon, however scientific proof does not seem to exist?

4. Default

I have always thought it best to fish at night during the full moon. The way I see it is that night-time visiblity increases at this stage and the fish generally take advantage of this. All of the various food sources, whatever they may be, venture out at night because it is safer than during the day. Next minute, chomp chomp....

Okay, then what is the right time to venture out on your nocturnal fishing adventure during full moon? If the fishing's no good and you stay up late you run the risk of being buggered the next day.....

Quote Originally Posted by Strikeforce View Post
    Okay, then what is the right time to venture out on your nocturnal fishing adventure during full moon? If the fishing's no good and you stay up late you run the risk of being buggered the next day.....
    a small price to pay for the joy of just FISHING.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Irrespective of the quality of the fishing, would you feel safe with Jasper in the middle of the night/nowhere with a blazing full moon?

at MY age I take what I can get!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by bloubul View Post
    We will be going to treeferns at the end of October. As it happens, the time we will be there it will also be full moon. I have heard many stories about fishing when its full moon. Some say its good and others again say its bad. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Should we fish at night?, use small or big Flies ect. Any information would be appreciated
    My best advice is to use big dark flies fished just bellow the surface. I've never really bothered about what the moon phase is with trout. I’ve found that the dark flies have always worked really well just after sunset for a couple of hours, any later than that and you should be around a fire having a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    at MY age I take what I can get!!!
    Well at least we're less likely to scare people than if they see our faces in broad sunlight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast