Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Venues: Rod Fees

I am no expert, but I have heard about the NZ solution, should it not also be investigated??

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...=3705#post3705
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Sorry Deon, that should read SWAMBO = Wife

She
    Who
    Always
    Must
    Be
    Obeyed
    COOL I Love it!!

I am no expert, but I have heard about the NZ solution, should it not also be investigated??

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...=3705#post3705
    Just read your post. It sounds like you may be referring to an experimental beat system instituted by Fish and Game Otago on 2 or 3 rivers in the area. These are rivers that receive a high degree of pressure and F&G were looking to improve the experience for anglers by restricting access. It has proved very successful and has been running for 3 seasons now.

As for the rest of the country I have never seen a ranger and been asked for my license, except for the Taupo region which is intesively managed by DOC, not F&G. We do have honorary rangers in other F&G regions but they are rather scarce on the ground.

As I said, I the info I have is second hand...
    Mike McKeown

Good morning guys

The non constructive, negative and simple *****y comments towards Keith is completely out of place here. To make these comments from an annonymous platform without giving it the slightest bit of thought is really special.

There are only a hand full of guys out there who are willing to saccrifice their time and money on improving our fishing and if there is one guy whose motives are unquestionable, then it is Keith. We are long past the stage where we can simply claim that we pay for lisences and that this constitutes a contribution towards conserving our fish stocks. There are simply too many factors that affect our fishing and Nature Conservation only controls a very small portion of these. If any one of you guys had ever taken the time to give Keith a call or even just an e-mail, then you would have found a person who is not even remotely pro-elitist. Keith shares all fly fishing related information freely and he will always go out of his way to assist anybody in accessing good water. Everything that he does is aimed at protecting our fish stocks and reserving those fish stocks does not for any part of his agenda.

Find out more about the person and what he has done for YOU, before you get your knickers in a knot. Then when you have done so, contact that person and offer your help.

MC

I sympathise with both sides of the argument but I’m going to have to say that all I see here is complaining and there is no real constructive criticism from the most of the posts.

Yes, there have been suggestions that regarding possible schemes that are used in other countries, but we forget that this is Africa and trying to get a government who are struggling to deal with the most basic of services such as sanitation to manage these solutions is not viable.

I don’t agree with the point that we fly fishermen have a lower impact on the yellowfish populations than the bait fishermen. On most of the public waters below the Vaal I think we out number the bait guys 10 to 1 and least we forget about the thousands of possible fingerings that are destroyed by people walking and fishing the spawn beds. Yes, I’m sure none you guys here don’t do this, but we have to remember the members here are a mere drop on the ocean regarding the total number of novice fly anglers who do such things.

To often when you ask the average fly fishermen (not the guys here on the site who are dedicated addicts) what their thoughts are regarding the Vaal pollution etc, most of them respond that they’ll just find somewhere else to fish, it’s not their problem. Quiet often is the other parties like the Bassmasters and conservation groups who are the most active in trying to protect our waters, not us fly fishermen

Until more fly fishermen actually start to get involved themselves, and I mean actually go out there and sacrifice our own time instead of posting complaints about the matter, I don’t see how we have the grounds to complain about the effort Keith has been doing to try and preserve our resources for our children and grandchildren.

In response MC, I have met Keith briefly on 2 occasions, and spent a few hours fishing along side him, he is passionate and I believe that he is do good work, and I do know that what he is trying to achieve is much needed. However, it could be done more effectively.

My concerns are that the system is going to make Yellow Fish fishing in the Vaal unobtainable.

I am more than willing to offer my time, and some of my industry knowledge. As it says in my profile, I consult to the hospitality industry, meaning guest lodges, hotels B&B’s etc… one of the products we supply is an online, real-time booking facility, maybe it is an idea to investigate one solution to cover all the venues, with beats, times, profiles etc…
    Mike McKeown

Thanks Gael and Maximum

I think that we are on a more constructive course now.

Will respond again later.

Cheers
    MC

In response MC, I have met Keith briefly on 2 occasions, and spent a few hours fishing along side him, he is passionate and I believe that he is do good work, and I do know that what he is trying to achieve is much needed. However, it could be done more effectively.

My concerns are that the system is going to make Yellow Fish fishing in the Vaal unobtainable.

I am more than willing to offer my time, and some of my industry knowledge. As it says in my profile, I consult to the hospitality industry, meaning guest lodges, hotels B&B’s etc… one of the products we supply is an online, real-time booking facility, maybe it is an idea to investigate one solution to cover all the venues, with beats, times, profiles etc…
    It would be interesting to see how many fly fishers will use an online booking system to book there days fishing.

How does the booking work on the cps streams / rivers?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

All CPS bookings are taken through the CPS office by the secretary of the club.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast