Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Venues: Rod Fees

Question Vaal Venues: Rod Fees

I fished Ben Joh a few days ago....had to pay R 70, the papgoooiers pay R 25! The manager explained to me all venues now charge a standard fee of R 70, and a portion of the fee is collected for conservation. According to this guy Keith Wallington came round and advised him accordingly. OK, conservation is great, but I would like to pose a few questions:
    How much is the papgooier, paying R 25 only, doing and/or contributing towards conservation? If you walk the banks, and pull some keepnets, you are bound to find a few lekker geles taken on kerriepap or floaties.

What about facilities, if they are not uniform, how can all venues charge R 70? I did not find toilet facilities at Ben Joh for instance, but at least the conventional fishermen, paying a fraction of the cost, had the luxury.

Do I have a valid point?

Quote Originally Posted by Carel View Post
    I fished Ben Joh a few days ago....had to pay R 70, the papgoooiers pay R 25! The manager explained to me all venues now charge a standard fee of R 70, and a portion of the fee is collected for conservation. According to this guy Keith Wallington came round and advised him accordingly. OK, conservation is great, but I would like to pose a few questions:
    How much is the papgooier, paying R 25 only, doing and/or contributing towards conservation? If you walk the banks, and pull some keepnets, you are bound to find a few lekker geles taken on kerriepap or floaties.

What about facilities, if they are not uniform, how can all venues charge R 70? I did not find toilet facilities at Ben Joh for instance, but at least the conventional fishermen, paying a fraction of the cost, had the luxury.

Do I have a valid point?
    Hi Carel,

I think the manager was having you on!!?? The prices are not a std fee of R70 for all venues, perhaps those that subscribe to the conservation are set at R70 but the prices still vary at some of the others venues?? e.g.

Aarends nes is R50 a car (max 3 people) - R40 during the week
    Otters is R50/person per day
    Yellowfish Paradise is R15/person per day etc tec.

I fished Ben Joh a few days ago....had to pay R 70, the papgoooiers pay R 25! The manager explained to me all venues now charge a standard fee of R 70, and a portion of the fee is collected for conservation.

Do I have a valid point?
    Yes, I would like to know what Kieth is doing with the cash?? I dont see it...

I don’t like the way they are ripping us off, there are no facilities where we fish, they are not controlling the numbers like they promised and don’t like being discriminated against, just for being a fly fisherman… the R70 is far too steep. I have spoken to Koos about his prices, but he will not budge…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Do I have a valid point?
    The solution is to boycott(sp?) venues like this! Fish it from the opposite side.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Yes, I would like to know what Kieth is doing with the cash?? I dont see it...

I don’t like the way they are ripping us off, there are no facilities where we fish, they are not controlling the numbers like they promised and don’t like being discriminated against, just for being a fly fisherman… the R70 is far too steep. I have spoken to Koos about his prices, but he will not budge…
    Not sure when last you have been there Mike, but Koos has now built a few little "chalets" which are let out at R750/night.
    They sleep six. Not sre if you still have to pay a rod fee if you're staying over in them though.

It seems as if Koos is trying to some sort of exclusivity going at his venue!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Reading these posts is making me mad and happy at the same time.
    Mad 'cos someone is trying to rip off the wave of flyfishermen who don't take up space on the bank, meaning there can be more people on the water.
    Happy 'cos I now have further justification for having bought an inflatable canoe. All I need is a launch site and then paddle to the "rip off" water whaere I can fish without the rip off artist being able to do a damn thing about it.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Not sure when last you have been there Mike, but Koos has now built a few little "chalets" which are let out at R750/night.
    They sleep six. Not sre if you still have to pay a rod fee if you're staying over in them though.

It seems as if Koos is trying to some sort of exclusivity going at his venue!
    2 Weeks back.
    Koos could have built one little one at the end, where we park, way up, and with a gate in the fence, and put in a toilet, running water, maybe a bench to get changed on, maybe a little boma, for the SAWMBO, If she wanted to be dragged along.

I don't know, something, then I would'nt mind R100...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    2 Weeks back.
    Koos could have built one little one at the end, where we park, way up, and with a gate in the fence, and put in a toilet, running water, maybe a bench to get changed on, maybe a little boma, for the SAWMBO, If she wanted to be dragged along.

I don't know, something, then I would'nt mind R100...
    Well so far the only place I'm prepared to pay R70 and above for is Elgro. Their facilities are excellent.......especially the sundowner(s) on the deck after a great days fishing.

Default Good Idea

Herman,

Good idea, I will also invest in a small inflatable, launch at the bridge and fish the whole river.

Herman,

Good idea, I will also invest in a small inflatable, launch at the bridge and fish the whole river.
    Carel, just remember that unless there are 2 of you with 2 cars then the logistics of getting back to your car at the launch site could be a problem, especially if you've done a 30km drift!
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast