Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For all of us who know all that there is to know

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Kids are the future, teach them priorities and self respect and S.A. will stay the country it is.
    G0D forbid it stays like this!!!!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    G0D forbid it stays like this!!!!!!
    *** forbid if it gets worser!!!!than what it is.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Excellent story.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Korrie,

Treasure what you do for those kids, the parents of today live differently to their kids, actually they are selfish normally. Parents are for the good roll, entertainement, kids are last worry.

I feel that some/ most forumers that have posted ff involving their kids is of a positive nature. They involve the youngsters and share knowledge.

Kids are the future, teach them priorities and self respect and S.A. will stay the country it is.

Dave
    Dave,
    I have stopped counting how many parents said/asked " you must teach my son how to fish."
    What amazes me is that the parent don't even realise how much time he will miss with his kid, when his kid gets really hooked onto fishing.
    His kid will spend so much time fishing.
    THe other problem is that the kid a lot of the time can't get to the fishing waters.
    There are so many places that the family can go together to spend time while the fishing folk enjoy the fishing and the rest just chill out.
    But it never happens. Sometimes a very sad state.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Lovely little story, one that is filled with hope for the future.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Anybody know what happened to Harry? The last I remember, He said something about going on a new venture, but it's strange that he never came back on the website. Harry still posted me a bunch of braided leaders and more, but I never got the chance to report back to him. ??? Anyone?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

And what happened to HARRY!!!????? Enjoyed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Anybody know what happened to Harry? The last I remember, He said something about going on a new venture, but it's strange that he never came back on the website. Harry still posted me a bunch of braided leaders and more, but I never got the chance to report back to him. ??? Anyone?
    Wondered as well!! BUMP!!

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

On the kids thing. I've been away with the family the past few weeks in Badplaas, W Boven, Haenertsburg and Magoebaskloof. Incidentally all are good fishing venues () - WHEN the weather and conditions are right. All the rivers and dams were horribly muddy and the water very warm. with lots of thundershowers. However for the first time in a few years, my 22 yo muso son with his lovely new girlfriend and my 20 yo daughter with her thug muso boyfriend joined us. The past few years neither of my kids have been ffishing or tying flies - as with young adults, there are often more pressing urges/agenda!! I got them back into it and it seemed like yesterday they said - they've lost none of their skills and it was great seeing them fishing, like it was fifteen years ago or so with their enthusiasm. I showed them all the little insects and reminded them about how the fish go for them - even their 'semi-spouses' got into it! Neither Nick nor Victoria had forgotten their skills - now they want to come a'Vaaling!!! (Saloon 2000 doesn't exist, OK??!!)

We only got 4 carp on fly at the various venues, No other species was sane enough to take our creations especially in the prevailing terrible conditions.

But of course the fish were incidental, the family reuniting was the main thing! I'm definitely going to try get them involved in the Vaal etc from now on, forgotten what I've been missing over the past few years when my money and personal-health worries selfishly seem to have taken precedence

Anyway we're off to the Magaliesberg till Friday night - rain predicted the whole time but no doubt we'll tie a few flies and play stupid party games and plan for the next fishing trip!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Sorry to pull up an old thread like this, but I've only just read it and loved it

I started teaching my sons to fish when the eldest was about five. It was wonderful to spend the time with them as well as terribly frustating - being handed a rod with a bird's nest of line tangled round the reel and being told "it's got a bit of a tangle". It seemed like for a few years I had no fishing time myself. Just tying knots and undoing tangles.

Slowly they learned and I was able to get a little fishing time in too.

Then came "mastering the Penn 500" - an exercise in fustration.

Up until about 3 years ago I'd never touched a fly rod, but my eldest son bought himself a Stealth Start combo and taught himself to fly fish. I soon joined him, but realised that the tables had been turned - he was MUCH better at fly fishing than I was.

He's still thrilled to go fishing with me. He spends time coaching me, advising me on choice of flies, pointing out fish for me and talking non-stop about techniques. I am blessed that we both entered this sport, that I have a son who spends his spare time on mountain streams instead of hanging around with other mall-rats and, above all, that I have a 15 year old who is still happy to do things with his dad. My early investment of time has paid off tenfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Sorry to pull up an old thread like this, but I've only just read it and loved it

I started teaching my sons to fish when the eldest was about five. It was wonderful to spend the time with them as well as terribly frustating - being handed a rod with a bird's nest of line tangled round the reel and being told "it's got a bit of a tangle". It seemed like for a few years I had no fishing time myself. Just tying knots and undoing tangles.

Slowly they learned and I was able to get a little fishing time in too.

Then came "mastering the Penn 500" - an exercise in fustration.

Up until about 3 years ago I'd never touched a fly rod, but my eldest son bought himself a Stealth Start combo and taught himself to fly fish. I soon joined him, but realised that the tables had been turned - he was MUCH better at fly fishing than I was.

He's still thrilled to go fishing with me. He spends time coaching me, advising me on choice of flies, pointing out fish for me and talking non-stop about techniques. I am blessed that we both entered this sport, that I have a son who spends his spare time on mountain streams instead of hanging around with other mall-rats and, above all, that I have a 15 year old who is still happy to do things with his dad. My early investment of time has paid off tenfold.
    great to hear that doing the job properly pays off.
    that's real parenting. i tried but failed miserably unfortunately neither of my daughters is interested! about all they picked up from me was a taste for the expensive tackle so when i say 'sage' they respond 'christian louboton' and then we haggle.

enjoy Mike enjoy every minute.
    pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast