Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impromptu trip to the vaal TODAY

Default Impromptu trip to the vaal TODAY

Right, I have had a,long week at work and have decided I'm taking Friday afternoon off. The fact that there is no one else in the office after lunch helps

My plan is to get to the vaal around 14:00 and I am keen to fish either Silwer Strome, Arends Nes or Yellowfish Paradise. Last time I went out I got lost though and ended up on the next farm "downriver" from yellowfish paradise. This was a great find as it turned out to be cheaper and has amazing rapids and runs. You can also wade easily to the famous run under the willows on the opposite bank from Yellow fish Paradise...

The weather is good, the flows are great! Is anyone keen to join me? I am not a fan of fishing alone and my usual buddies cant make it and besides its always nice to fish with different people. PM me if you are interested

Well, when you get back, let us know what the flows are like.

The barrage went up to an average of 40cms on wednesday and was still at 40cms yesterday mornign at 7am.

Thanks
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

According to www.reservoir.co.za it is still at 40cms.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Right, I have had a,long week at work and have decided I'm taking Friday afternoon off. The fact that there is no one else in the office after lunch helps

My plan is to get to the vaal around 14:00 and I am keen to fish either Silwer Strome, Arends Nes or Yellowfish Paradise. Last time I went out I got lost though and ended up on the next farm "downriver" from yellowfish paradise. This was a great find as it turned out to be cheaper and has amazing rapids and runs. You can also wade easily to the famous run under the willows on the opposite bank from Yellow fish Paradise...

The weather is good, the flows are great! Is anyone keen to join me? I am not a fan of fishing alone and my usual buddies cant make it and besides its always nice to fish with different people. PM me if you are interested
    I've seen a few cars on the bank downstream from Geelvis but have no idea of how to get there. Care to post some directions please.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I've seen a few cars on the bank downstream from Geelvis but have no idea of how to get there. Care to post some directions please.
    If I knew exactly how to get there I wouldnt have been "lost" . Basically turned off of the lindequesdrift road onto the dirt road to towards the barrage. About 2-3km down the road I turned right and then sort of wound my way through across a number of paths/roads... I'll try my best to not get lost today.

When I checked the dwaf site around lunchtime yesterday the vaal had been steady at around 20 for a few days, goosebay had dropped to 33 and schoemans was down to close to 20. Typically, the dwaf site is down at the moment - murphy's law.

Yip, and I'm not sure how reliable the data from the www.reservoir.co.za site actually is!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I don’t think the info on reservoir is too far out regarding the barrage flows, I just wish that it was updated every morning. Currently there is yesterdays update, which means it the flows for Wednesday.

The meter readings at both Goosebay and Schoomies can be a little suspect though at times. When Goosebay does over read, it’s usually around double of what it should be, you can tell by looking at the barrage flows for a day or two before.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Thanks for the advice guys - I phoned one of my friends who works for dwaf and he says that yesterday afternoon one of the crews was working at Goosebay. He said that by yesterday afternoon they flow had dropped to about 25 at goosebay.

Provided there havent been any "incidents" upstream I think it should be perfect!

Ja well, I'm taking a wild guess and gonna hit the vaal in my region tomorrow...hoping for flow between 25-30 cubics.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast