Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Treatment of Water Weeds

Default Treatment of Water Weeds

Can any of you guys give me some ideas on the removal of weed from a dam?

We have a 20 ha dam that was unfortunately constructed too shallow. In summer, we have a major weed problem. I have tried Midstream, with limited results and draining the dam to make it deeper is out of the question.

Although I obviously want to keep some weedbeds, I need to remove at least 50% of the weed.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    Can any of you guys give me some ideas on the removal of weed from a dam?

We have a 20 ha dam that was unfortunately constructed too shallow. In summer, we have a major weed problem. I have tried Midstream, with limited results and draining the dam to make it deeper is out of the question.

Although I obviously want to keep some weedbeds, I need to remove at least 50% of the weed.
    An old farm gate, some chains and a tractor !
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

A 20 ha shade cloth??

How deep is it?? Why cant you dredge it? Does it have a feeder stream?? If it does have one, does it run through farmland?? What are the phosphate levels in it? Is the weed really thick and bushy in places or just thick all over?? How thick??
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    A 20 ha shade cloth??

How deep is it?? Why cant you dredge it? Does it have a feeder stream?? If it does have one, does it run through farmland?? What are the phosphate levels in it? Is the weed really thick and bushy in places or just thick all over?? How thick??
    f***ing thick!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Grass carp...

And they're good for about five years...

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Grass carp...
    also VERY expensive
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

If there is a boys school close by? You give them something to do during Saturday detention! Couple of pairs or garden sheers, goggles and fins and send 'em in for a couple of hours! Keeps them busy and fit and a 3 square meter patch of your dam weed free!

Seriously though, check the phosphate levels. I have no clue how you would reduce them on such a large scale but that could definitely be a major source of the problem.

Do you find dead fish in the mornings, or signs or generally unhealthy fish??
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 09-10-07 at 01:36 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Our school dam has got overgrown with weed. So every friday we send the detention kids with anchors and ropes and they trek for a few hours...

Doesn't make a huge difference but keeps the rubbish's on their toes...
    Last edited by fdavis; 09-10-07 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    also VERY expensive
    In comparison to mid stream? And considering the long term advantages?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast