Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Treatment of Water Weeds

We have tried Grass Carp a few years ago, but I neglected to mention that we also have otters and cormorants and they made fairly short work of the carp. Also, if you are not very careful, grass carp can eat every scrap of weed and then start on the Kikuyu lawns!! Also they are very expensive, in the region of R400 per fish delivered.

The dam is about 3 metres deep near the wall and that remains weed free, but we get very thick patches of weed elsewhere in the summer months. We have eliminated small areas with sheets of PVC, but also just a small dent in the overall problem.

The is no fish mortality, in fact they are in superb condition.

To use the local school detentionees, may be regarded as corporal punishment and I'll get at least 20 years hard labour
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

I'm trying hard labour at our school dams. The PVC option sounds interesting. Please could you give me a few pointers how to go about this (or rather how the detainees will go about this!)
    Cheers

Purchase a large section of black PVC. Insert holes and eyes on corners and about every 5 meteres or so along the sides. Attach ski rope to 2 litre coke bottles (or similar) filled with sand to hold the sheet in place.

Anchor the PVC over the weed for about 3 weeks, remove and hey presto! - no more weed. - then move the sheet to a new spot and repeat.

This works well on small dams, but a large water can end up looking like an oversized trampoline!! Also if too much weed is killed at once, the decaying vegetation can extract all the Oxygen from the water, resulting in massive fish mortality.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Excellent info many thanks Gordon, will experiment with this in limited fashion for starters and see how we go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2