Thread: barra lodge

Default barra lodge

Hi guys,

Off to flamingo bay near Barra lodge mozambique for a week. Never fished salt water before . Any ideas on good spots at above location. Flies, tackle etc... PLEASE help - wanna get my salt water experience off to as good a start as possible...

Shot..

Default Barra and Surroundings

Guys,

Have any of you guys fished Barra and surroundings recently?

Im heading there in a month, and I want to make the most of my time there.

Any suggestions of spots and tactics and the type of fish you can target there would be great, I want to start tying this weekend.

Thanks

Troep

Make the trek to lighthouse reef
    Throw little clousers chart white
    You can also follow the road towards the "mouth" of the bay
    We got some 3spots on charlies in the channel where the road ends

Don't expect too much the locals have hammered that place

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thats dissappointing...

Where do you suggest I go to in the nearby area?

The most promising place was tofinio
    Go towards inhambane till you get the fork in the road (bar balasa good prego) go towards Tofo then as you get close you will see a road to your right going to tofino there is a nice beach there with a deep channel
    But the best is the point at low tide you need to climb down onto the ledge (take good shoes it's hard sharp volcanic type rock)

Throw 2/0 chart white clousers and strip the snot out of them
    If that doesn't work throw smaller #2 clousers and strip them slightly slower

Have fun post pics

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Troep, unfortunately Damage is right, there is very little near the shore around Barra. From the point, try along the rocks for a few hundred metres southwards towards Tofo. (small kingies, 3-spot pompano)

Try get down to Guinjata (it's about an hour's drive, even though not too many km). Get a charter from there and head down to Paindane reef. Or just drive to Paindane and fish from the reef. Big kingfish around there.

Thanks guys.

Ill give a report when Im back, that will only be in the end of April.

So you guys think I should stick to the normal clousers etc.

I'll tie up a few smaller ones to supplement my other salty flies.

Thanks, for the info and if you can think of anything else let me know, Ive got a month to plan...

Cheers

I had a very different experience this past December...

I wouldnt call the place pristine but even when snorkeling over the inshore reefs that you swim too off of barra beach we saw numerous crays, octopus, kings, cowrie shells, couta, baracouda, snapper etc. Take a snorkel trip on one of the dive boats and you'll see even more fly friendly marine life.

From the shore I got most of my success at the lighthouse point, main victims being gars, but they're a bugger to land. I eventually rented a kayak for R100 a day from the place we stayed (palm grove next to barra lodge) and paddled about 300m off shore and had a ball on the reefs. I landed three fish on small chart bucktails trolled behind me just paddling out to the reef.

Tofinho point, where the monument is, is home to some serious baracuda so be prepared to get a hiding if you hook one You might struggle to find enough room for a back cast so take a spinning outfit with you just in case.

You probably arent going to have too many encounters with lunkers but if you're happy with fish in the 1-2kg range you'll have a good time.
    Check your knots!

Awesome, now Im feeling a lot better!!

So its safe to assume I can leave the 10wt and rather try with a & 7wt...

I'll give a good report when Im back!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    Awesome, now Im feeling a lot better!!

So its safe to assume I can leave the 10wt and rather try with a & 7wt...

I'll give a good report when Im back!!

Thanks
    Hi Troep,

I'm on my way to Barra in the next month or so. How was the fishing?