Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: common mistakes by novice stream fly fishermen

I've also seen Oliver Edwards "hand twisting" the line on rivers (spring creeks). I guess the speed of the current will dictate which line collecting method to use.

I believe the downstream curve in the line closest to the rod tip, always be on the upstream side of the rod tip, making the necessary mends in the line in time,when fishing up and across. Also tracking the fly with the rod tip the same speed as the current.

When fishing straight up with fly line on the water the line should be collected at the same speed as the current, a downstream curve below the rod tip causes drag (retrieving the excess line too slowly).

Another major mistake beginners make is to fish a run/pool with the rod tip on the downsream side of a lip current, which invariably creates drag in a flash.

Interesting that you should mention this Fario. I once bumped into a Cape stream fisherman who only had one arm! He fished with just a rods length of line out aswell, and was damn successful too. His name was Ian Lehr, chairman of the South African Gun Owners association. Sadly departed now.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 03-10-06 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2