Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dubbing

Wiets Banned User

Default Dubbing

I now have just about every conceivable material you can imagine - except for dubbing.
    Does dubbing play a role in salt water patterns?

Wiets

It is extremely rare to find a saltwater pattern that requires dubbing.

There are of course a few exceptions to this. The most notable are Bonefish patterns where bodies are created by dubbing fur. If you Google Tim Borski, you will see what I mean. His shrimp/prawn patterns rely on dubbing most of the time.

Wiets Banned User

Thanks MC - I have his DVD's.

some cream dubbing on a #10 hook makes a nice sunken bread fly for mullet, but you could get away with using other materials.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

You can tie Salty Bugger flies with SLF dubbing, or Superbrite (instead of the normal crystal chenille). But most Saltwater patterns do not require any dubbing. Wiets, get your hands on some bucktails...in ALL different colours. Chartreuse, Pink, White, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc...a widely used material in Saltwater patterns.

Maybe Wiets could experiment dying some of his white bucktail?

For smaller flies (e.g. Salty Bugger and C Charlies types) I often use my 'turbo block' and make dubbing brushes using the thin wire, so it's pretty resilient and overall you can mess with the colours, texture and density to often give a better overall and individual effect than the average shop-bought chenilles and dubbing brushes - not that the latter are not useful!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post

For smaller flies (e.g. Salty Bugger and C Charlies types) I often use my 'turbo block' and make dubbing brushes using the thin wire, so it's pretty resilient and overall you can mess with the colours, texture and density to often give a better overall and individual effect than the average shop-bought chenilles and dubbing brushes - not that the latter are not useful!
    Hmmm, good tip Ol' Man River! I hate dubbing brushes for fresh water though, find they are not essential. But for saltwater I can definitely see the advantages...will make them hardy.

Yep Mike, I also prefer the simple single strand waxed thread for finer body definition for most smaller freshwater flies, the 'turbocharges' as I call them are less refined but the tying with wire works well for our larger freshwater brothers and sisters as well. I must admit when I need a fuzzy dragon of caddis emerger for example, they are also pretty good

PS MIchael you also joining us for 'Not The V5'?

Yep Mike, I also prefer the simple single strand waxed thread for finer body definition for most smaller freshwater flies, the 'turbocharges' as I call them are less refined but the tying with wire works well for our larger freshwater brothers and sisters as well. I must admit when I need a fuzzy dragon of caddis emerger for example, they are also pretty good

PS MIchael you also joining us for 'Not The V5'?
    Chris, yes I want to...but as I said on that thread just now, I probably won't be able to sleep over. Would love to come through for the day though.

Wiets Banned User

That's exactly my plan. Most of the stuff I bought is white in colour. This will
    allow me to dye various materials together at the same time and hopefully get the same shade of colour throughout. Here is the Rit dye I ordered - just waiting for the delivery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.