Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Control fly Critique

Default Control fly Critique

I finally started to tie my own flies a couple of months ago and they are at long last starting to catch a few fish. I still end up buying some patterns and getting mates to tie others but I'll figure them out eventually I hope. I posted this pic on the other forum to show someone how I was tying beads in under the dubbing and thought I'd post it here for some critique as well.

The photo is not the clearest but the flies were tied using sts quick descent dark brown dubbing, a mix of olive hares ear and light olive uv ice dub, prismatic flash back (hence the blue tinge where the camera flash caught it at the right angle) and black brassie wire as ribbing. Weighting is a wrap of lead and combination of different size tungsten beads (size in brackets).

All criticism will be taken as constructive so please share your thoughts.

Check your knots!

Can I place an order? I'm no master, but I think they look super, lots of triggers.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

They are looking great dude! (not half as nice a my mullet though )
    The only critique I would throw at you is the number of segments on the body and for that matter the bottom right fly seems to have the adequate 5 -7 segments showing (arguably it won't be of any significance in a fast shallow run where all meals are capatalised upon). Then I would encourage you to try and tie them a tad slimmer (once again the bottom right fly seems spot on) - Mr Williams is a true master at getting those flies extra slim + tying them without beads.

Very cool looking flies over all.
    Last edited by Nymph+O-; 30-10-07 at 12:52 PM.
    No PAIN No Gain

Thanks guys, I'll try and make them as slim as the bottom right hand fly. That fly was actually tied by someone else so I cant take credit for it

If I switch my ribbing material to a thinner guage wire/mono I think I could tie in more segments as the brassie wire is probably a bit thick.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    The photo is not the clearest but the flies were tied using sts quick descent dark brown dubbing, a mix of olive hares ear and light olive uv ice dub, prismatic flash back (hence the blue tinge where the camera flash caught it at the right angle) and black brassie wire as ribbing. Weighting is a wrap of lead and combination of different size tungsten beads (size in brackets).

All criticism will be taken as constructive so please share your thoughts.
    • Skip the circle hooks - you will have FAR better hookups on fish with your control flies if you do so. If you REALLY want to use circle hooks - you can buy mine. CHEAP!
    • If you want to use wire to rib, rather use SMALL, not BRASSIE diameter. Even better - use brown 3x (0.20mm) mono - you can really pull on this stuff for better segmentation (+-5 in abdomen & 2 in thorax region).
    • Do you know what each weigh (in grams)? It is best to come up with a range of weights so that you can logically change up or down, water flow & depth dependent.
    • Pick out some dubbing in the thorax area for legs (not too much)
    • Use finer thread - your whip finishes are very aparent.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    • Skip the circle hooks - you will have FAR better hookups on fish with your control flies if you do so. If you REALLY want to use circle hooks - you can buy mine. CHEAP!
    • If you want to use wire to rib, rather use SMALL, not BRASSIE diameter. Even better - use brown 3x (0.20mm) mono - you can really pull on this stuff for better segmentation (+-5 in abdomen & 2 in thorax region).
    • Do you know what each weigh (in grams)? It is best to come up with a range of weights so that you can logically change up or down, water flow & depth dependent.
    • Pick out some dubbing in the thorax area for legs (not too much)
    • Use finer thread - your whip finishes are very aparent.
    I'm sure you preached the Gospel of circle hooks not to long ago? Why the change?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Default will eat a Vaal Caddis (larva/pupa/adult - any/all of them)

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I'm sure you preached the Gospel of circle hooks not to long ago? Why the change?
    NOPE. NEVER HAVE BEEN PRO-CIRCLE.

Please see if you can find it in print.
    If you can, I will eat a Vaal Caddis (larva/pupa/adult - any/all of them)

I investigated circle hooks (probably one of the first to do so) - and moved on before everyone caught up. I have warned against them ever since.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

One day when I am big, I will also know everything first.

Personally, I am a firm believer in circle hooks for heavy control flies. Maybe I only discovered this after Gary, but due to my slow witted nature, I still use them.

what's the "down" side of this hook then? Hav'nt used too many so i'm curious.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    They are looking great dude! (not half as nice a my mullet though )
    The only critique I would throw at you is the number of segments on the body and for that matter the bottom right fly seems to have the adequate 5 -7 segments showing (arguably it won't be of any significance in a fast shallow run where all meals are capatalised upon). Then I would encourage you to try and tie them a tad slimmer (once again the bottom right fly seems spot on) - Mr Williams is a true master at getting those flies extra slim + tying them without beads.

Very cool looking flies over all.
    I'd rather see the flies first hand as my eyesight even makes swambo look attractive..as Ferdi says I seldom need to use tungsten or heavy stuff if I ballance the fly right with ultratight square lead and ultrafine threads and materials/dubbing. Howver there is always a need for an ultra-heavy jobbie every now and then, and I'm not afriad to bring out the heavy artillery! I'm not knocking circle hook flies, I prefer blunting my usual suspect hooks on rocks knowing if it is a fish I don't need to eff around worrying about them inhaling the hook - but horses for courses!

Cheers guys!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast