Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Control fly Critique

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    NOPE. NEVER HAVE BEEN PRO-CIRCLE.

Please see if you can find it in print.
    If you can, I will eat a Vaal Caddis (larva/pupa/adult - any/all of them)

I investigated circle hooks (probably one of the first to do so) - and moved on before everyone caught up. I have warned against them ever since.
    Dude you are probably striking when you get a take... Circle hooks require only a light lift of the rod or tightining of the line. If you strike it just pulls the hook out of its mouth. Circle hooks are better for the fish because they seldom get fowl hooked and will always will be hooked in the corner of the mouth/corner of the jaw. But just keep in mind that circle hooks size has to be matched to the size of the fish.....
    Tight Loops you down stream mud mullets

Quote Originally Posted by NEptuNE View Post
    Dude you are probably striking when you get a take... Circle hooks require only a light lift of the rod or tightining of the line. If you strike it just pulls the hook out of its mouth. Circle hooks are better for the fish because they seldom get fowl hooked and will always will be hooked in the corner of the mouth/corner of the jaw. But just keep in mind that circle hooks size has to be matched to the size of the fish.....
    Neptune - not to get into a slinging match, but (IMHO) circle hooks catch less SM than a conventional scud hook.
    Yellows pick up & reject flies quickly and a circle does not hookup in their mouths as well as a regular scud hook - strike or no strike.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Tried to get some pics of the Cased Caddis fly's i use but they did not turn out ok. I will try again though.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Decent pattern, but I would suggest rougher dubbing for the "thorax" section.
    NOTE - since out cased caddis do not actually drift with the case AND the pupa is closed in the case when pupating, then leaves the case to emerge, you will not find a chartreuse head "peeping" out of a case while drifting on the Vaal.

That said, the chartreuse head could act as a trigger, attracting the fishes attention, so the pattern could work rather well.

I will tie up a couple of them and try them myself.
    Thanx Gary and well said,ja I think it's a awsome attractor/trigger the chartreuse head.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789