Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Melkbos diary

hi roland,im doing well.hope things are good your side.just wanted to get a line in the water.thanks to chris for the offer.funny though i stayed there for a year and never fished the place.but sometimes its just about standing with a mate and talking k*k and enjoying the outdoors....the fish are just a bonus...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

The saturday before last , I went down for an hour and got my fish. There were still a lot of kids around and thats not good when you gotta keep on saying......." no its not time to pull in my line yet..."

Im going this saturday from 09.00 tilll 12.00 a.m./p.m. or untill I get my fish.

The water has def been getting colder , but that shouldnt be a prob.Anyone had any luck with steenbras in the area.?
    Fishing is what makes retirement something to look forward to.

[QUOTE=sardyntjie1;57000]
    Im going this saturday from 09.00 tilll 12.00 a.m./p.m. or untill I get my fish.
    QUOTE]

Hi Saryntjie. You are welcome to join me from Friday midnight through until we fall over on Saturday. I'm fishing the first Melkbos Angling Club comp of the year. Weigh in is at 5pm Saturday. It is an open comp, so we can fish anywhere we like. I'm opting for Monwabisi/Macassor.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I just got back from the Melkbos slip. First stop was Bontkop, but unfortunately the beach has flattened off and closed all the holes. Also too much loose kelp in the water from the S/Wester that blew the previous day, so we decided to move onto the Melkbos slip instead. My companions Mark and Clyde wiped my eyes, catching 3 kob of size between them. The fish were biting extremely 'skelm' and although I had two knocks, I just couldn't connect! The bait of choice was anchovy, of few of which were generously offered to us by a chap who had been fishing in the 'Vlei' around the corner in his rubber duck. He saye the bait-fish were everywhere and the anchovies he had just scooped off the surface while he was fishing. He caught 30 odd kob out there, only one of which was undersize!

Anyway, I'm busy licking my wounds before retiring to bed.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I just got back from the Melkbos slip. First stop was Bontkop, but unfortunately the beach has flattened off and closed all the holes. Also too much loose kelp in the water from the S/Wester that blew the previous day, so we decided to move onto the Melkbos slip instead. My companions Mark and Clyde wiped my eyes, catching 3 kob of size between them. The fish were biting extremely 'skelm' and although I had two knocks, I just couldn't connect! The bait of choice was anchovy, of few of which were generously offered to us by a chap who had been fishing in the 'Vlei' around the corner in his rubber duck. He saye the bait-fish were everywhere and the anchovies he had just scooped off the surface while he was fishing. He caught 30 odd kob out there, only one of which was undersize!

Anyway, I'm busy licking my wounds before retiring to bed.
    Hi Chris

I fished Bontkop Sunday between 12.30pm and 5pm.Weed was a big problem and I did not even get a knock for my efforts.You are right about the holes it is difficult to find one now - 7 out of 10 casts the sinker would drift unless you got it exactly on a certain spot.

Looks like the slip is worth trying again.
    Andrew Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Hi Chris

I fished Bontkop Sunday between 12.30pm and 5pm.Weed was a big problem and I did not even get a knock for my efforts.You are right about the holes it is difficult to find one now - 7 out of 10 casts the sinker would drift unless you got it exactly on a certain spot.

Looks like the slip is worth trying again.
    Yeah, the kelp problem is typical of South Westerly wind on the West coast. It is almost impossible to fish in those conditions. Strangely enough further North up the West coast in Namibia it becomes the prevalent wind and is in fact the wind of choice, but then again, kelp is not as predominent up there.

I gooi'd a bit of an experiment by incorporating a tuft of red egg yarn into my bait as a trigger of sorts, and made the mistake of not holding onto my rod for a few minutes after casting in. Whilst fumbling at my tackle box, Clyde just shouted "Chris...CHRIS!!!" and my ffffffffffng rod was buckled over in its spring steel stand, so much so that the tip was just about on the ground bru!

Did the 30 metre dash in 2 seconds kinda thing, but too late...fish managed to throw the hook! That was something big, let me tell you. 2nd time in 5 days that I have lost a korker....so now I'm counting on 3rd time lucky!

Got a smaller kob after that on the same setup, but it went quiet after dark. Since I was the only guy who had any action at last light last night, I'm keen to see if the yarn had anything to do with my positive hit rate, so...guess what?....I'm off to experiment in a little while with some more egg yarn! Want to see if it really does make a difference in daylight hours when the fish can see the colour better.

And here i thought this piece of coast is dead, after reading your thread, I'm pissed I gave all R&S stuff away Well so you learn hey.

Good luck Chris
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

More frustrations today. Just couldn't get the distance to the band of kelp, no matter how I tried. There is nothing worse than fishing so unconfidently, knowing the fish are out there, but you are a good 20 metres short of where you should be! I made the mistake of trying my Shimano Exage 1468 with the light tip today. What a mismatch compared to what I am used to with my Purglas and it's number 2 tip. Won't be using the light tip on the Exage again in a hurry, that's for sure,... well certainly not when I'm needing to put out something like a 120m cast!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3